one: nico hoerner

3:59:58, 3:59:59, 4:00:00.

4am. It was 4am and Nico still hadn't arrived home. Y/N understood that home games were special, even more so when Nico performed great and won with a walk-off.

But the game ended at 10.

Her mind wandered to all of the possible things he could be doing. Drinking by himself at the bar. Drinking with teammates at the bar. Drinking with.. she didn't want to think he would go to the bar just to drink with other girls. But of course, that was the top thought on her mind.

The pair had only been together for 3 months, and Nico was extremely private about his love life. If Y/N attended any games, she wouldn't sit with fellow wives and girlfriends or Nico's family. She would blend into the crowd and meet Nico back at home.

They met during his spring training, and soon enough she was head over heels for the baseball player. Their relationship moved rather quickly at the start, and a month into the relationship, Nico had asked Y/N to move in with him in his Chicago apartment. Her parents said she was crazy, that they were moving too fast. And Y/N never listened to them, or even had a small thought in her mind that they could've been moving too fast.

Until now.

Sure this was Y/N being incredibly anxious because Nico had never been out this late without a text, but now, all she could think about was her parents' words. She was now having doubts about the relationship. They hadn't even said 'I love you'. Of course Y/N did love Nico, and she thought about saying it to him every day. And of course she thought he loved her too. Who asks someone to move in with them after only having known them a month and doesn't love them?

These thoughts kept Y/N up another half hour before she could hear the jingling of keys in the door. She shot up from her spot on the couch and glared at the doorway. Soon enough, a six-foot figure stumbled through the door, seemingly trying to be quiet. But when Nico turned on the side table lamp, he was shocked, to say the least, when he was met with an angry Y/N. Nico swallowed hard and his eyes widened.

"Babe, you're still up? What're you doing up?" He asked rather nervously. Until this moment, Y/N hadn't been upset enough to cry. But seeing Nico's face made it a little more real.

"What do you mean Nico? I've been up for HOURS wondering where the hell you've been! You didn't bother to call, to text, to answer any of the messages I sent! I was so proud of your performance tonight! But now I can't even think about you without getting mad!" Y/N's eyes pooled with tears as she stood in front of the man. The stench of alcohol beamed from his body, and it was very clear that he had a few too many.

"Y/N, just give me a chance to explain", Nico replied rather quickly. "I was just, ya know, having a fun night. I do this every home game! Why is this time so different?" He fired back.

"Gee, Nic, I don't know. Maybe it's because you haven't contacted me at all, haven't checked in. That is the part I'm not okay with." When Nico was in an uncomfortable situation or lying, he tended to play with his necklace or fidget with his hands; Y/N had already picked up on this in the short time they've been together. Right now, Nico couldn't have been any more nervous. 

"There's something clearly off with you Nico! What is it?" She persisted. "Are you afraid people will judge you? That I'm not good enough?"

Nico was quick to shake his head at her question. "Now you're just saying things. Of course not, that's ridiculous."

"Well it's kind of hard not to think you are because I haven't even met the team and I have to hide in plain sight at the games!" Y/N exclaimed.

"I can't read your mind, Nico, so what is it? Are you embarrassed of me?" Y/N asked another question, this time getting closer to her boyfriend. He threw his hands up in the air and let out a huff, shaking his head. He plopped himself down on the couch and folded his arms, staring through Y/N.

"No, Y/N", he replied through gritted teeth. "Why can't you just let it go."

"Because Nic, if we are going to make us work we need to be honest with each other!" Y/N barked as this argument was pushing her to her limits. The couple sat and stood in silence until Y/N finally spoke up and asked the question she was dreading most. She took a deep breath, scared for what truth she may uncover.

"Did you cheat on me?" Y/N asked, her voice barely above a whisper. A single tear fell from Y/N's face as Nico jumped up from his spot and immediately softened his expression.

"Y/N, baby, oh my god no! No, of course not! I would never, ever, in a million years think of that!" Nico said sincerely, and he reached out to touch      Y/N's face. She backed away before he could make contact.

"Nico, I need you to tell me the truth, please! I believe that you didn't cheat. I don't think you're capable of that. But this is killing me! And all I wanna have is closure." Y/N hiccuped and she choked back a sob. She was tired and emotionally drained. She saw Nico take a deep breath before running his hand through his hair.

"Okay, you're right. I'm just being a coward and I can't own up to my own feelings. Because the truth is, Y/N, I care about you. In a way I've never cared about anyone in my life before. And you make me smile when I think about you, and I feel my heart ache when you're gone. And the reason I didn't text you tonight was because instead of me being alone or just with a couple guys, the whole team was there. And our relationship is so new that I didn't want anyone to know about you in case it didn't work. Because I'm afraid every day that I'll come home to an empty apartment." Nico took a breath in between what he was saying to go up to Y/N and take her hands, which she let him do this time.

"Because Y/N, you are way too good for me. And if I were to let the world know I lost the most amazing girl in the entire world, then I wouldn't be able to get over it. Or you." Nico's concluding sentences made him smile and close the gap between him and Y/N, engulfing her in a hug. She slowed her breathing and smiled into Nico's chest, finally at peace with his confession. When she pulled away, she went up on her tiptoes to give Nico a much needed kiss.

The pair melted into one another's grasp, and were able to feel the most comfortable each had felt that nice.

"I'm so sorry I got all worked up, Nic. I guess the truth is I'm insecure about this relationship too. I mean, so many friends and family said it was a mistake. I guess, I just didn't want you to think that I was a mistake." Y/N said and she looked up into Nico's eyes.

"I guess we'll just always be the outliers. The ones that did it when everyone else said it was impossible." The couple smiled and gave each other one last hug and kiss. As they did, Y/N quickly pulled back.

"I let it go the first time cuz it was an emotional moment, but go shower and brush your teeth. You reek." Y/N said, laughing along with Nico at her remark.

"Will do, babe." Nico replied as he made his way toward the bathroom. Within 15 minutes, Nico was ready for bed, and he met Y/N in their room as he stripped down to only a pair of shorts, and Y/N wore a big t-shirt of Nico's.

They couple snuggled up in their bed, and as Nico wrapped his arms strongly around Y/N, he whispered in her ear,

"I love you, Y/N. To the moon and back. Forever and always." Y/N sat up to face Nico and smiled at him through a flushed face. She grabbed his cheeks and kissed him once more before bed.

"I love you too, Nico Hoerner. And I will never stop."