The Drama Club

"Shouldn't we be studying for the next exams?" I ask looking up from the script.

Eric scoffed. "Great actors don't need exams. Hurry up! Time is opportunity."

We were in the exam week and so far, nothing terrible has happened. Nothing except this. Being a member of the Drama Club seriously gave me reasons why no one joined the club and made me wonder how Bert was able to tolerate Eric because he was delusional. Always asked me to help him rehearse for a play, addressed me as his assistant (which I wasn't), acted like a celebrity, ignored the importance of his academics, and blamed me for his imaginary failures which sounded crazy to me.

'It looks like I will be studying into the night again.' I sigh and look at the script. 'This looks like a scene from one of William Shakespeare's famous plays. But which is it? 'Midnight Summer's Dream', 'Macbeth', or 'Romeo and Juliet'?

"Okay, we will start from act one scene three," he clapped his hands. "Places people and action!"

I read. "He apprehends a world of figures here. But not the form of what he should attend. Good cousin gives me audience for a while."

"I cry for mercy."

"Those same noble Scots. That is your prisoners-"

"I'll keep them all. By God, he shall not have a Scot of them. No, if a Scot would save his soul, he shall not. I'll keep them by hand."

'Gosh! Is he that dramatic?' I roll my eyes and continue. "You start away, and lend no ear unto my purpose..."

"Why Ms. Cross-wood, what a surprise." Mr. Indigo said interrupting me.

"Good afternoon Sir," I say.

"Why aren't you studying for the exams?" he asked.

"She is helping me to rehearse my good sir," Eric said with an air of confidence.

"I see," he looked squarely at him. "Why did you join the Drama Club?"

I say the first thing that comes into my mind, "I uh, wanted to explore my artistic side?"

"Artistic side?" when I nodded he asked, "Where is your jester then?"

"Pardon my good sir?" Eric asked with a gesture.

He walked in and started picking up one of the masks. "Brianna. A little birdie said she was imitating me for sport for the past few weeks." He explained.

"Oh!" I giggle slightly at that. "Well, she is not here."

"I see." He put it back in its place. "Do you do ballet Ms. Cross-wood?"

I freeze. "Umm. Yes at my former school."

"Good. Maybe you would be interested in auditioning for the role of the main character in the play 'The Nut Cracker. It is holding after the exams though."

"I would love to but..."

Eric interrupted me. "What about Gwen?"

He cocked an eyebrow. "Who?"

Eric struck another pose. "Gwen. She was once in the Drama Club. Maybe you can ask her."

"Why should I?" he asked.

"She does ballet too and I do suggest you pick her because Emma's body size doesn't fit the script." He further explained.

I narrow my eyes at that. "Excuse me?"

"Well, it depends if she wants to audition for the role." then he walked out of the room. "Good luck on your exams Ms. Cross-wood."

Once he was gone I glared at Eric who had a smug look on his face.