The Upperclassman

It was another day and I was by the checkout counter waiting for my turn to pay for my shopping.

'I have to make sure the beer is in there. It is part of tonight's dinner after all.'

I pay the cashier and walk out of the store. 'Gosh, these are heavy!' I struggle to get a good grip on the bags. 'It would be nice if I had some help. I should have gone with the plastic bags but the paper ones are cheaper.'

I hear footsteps behind me and look back. It was only people walking home after work. Caution and Paranoia became my closest friends ever since my stalker sent me that message bad going to the police alone didn't help. Why? I was afraid of what they will find out about me if I did that and now I am afraid of what might happen to me or the people around me if I didn't.

'Maybe jail won't be so bad.' I quicken my pace. 'I would lose my freedom but at least...'

"Hey, you!" A voice boomed behind me. I turn around to see the baseball bat-wielding girl from school posing with her weapon under the street light. She had her hair in a ponytail and was looking meaner than usual with a smirk on her face.

"Nice outfit." She said walking towards me. "Where did you get it?"

I take a step back. "I...It is my casual outfit."

She stopped and took a good look at me. "Oh! I made a mistake. You look awful." And thumping her baseball bat to the ground, she asked, "It looks like you are in love with going out at night. Do you have any spare change?"

I take a step back because she scares me.

"Hey I am talking to you!" she shoved the bat to my face.

"S...sorry I don't have any money."

She huffed, spat on the pavement, and turned her back on me. "School starts a day after tomorrow. Don't be late."

I watched her walk down the street. 'That is odd. She looked like she was going to rob me.'

I continue my journey home and was greeted with moaning sounds from the bedroom. Disgusted, I drop the groceries in the kitchen and walk to my bedroom wondering how on earth they can do it when one has a broken leg. Well, I do not want to know. After taking the necessary precautions with the door, I take a shower and go to the kitchen to start dinner. Halfway through, I call Brianna.

"Hello?"

"Hi, Brianna. How are you?"

"I'm good and you?"

"I am fine. Say is school starting next tomorrow?"

"Yeah! They sent us students the message." There was a pause. "What you didn't get yours?"

"No, I didn't."

"They sent it via email. What is the matter, you don't have a phone?"

"No, I have an old model."

"You mean the one with buttons on it?"

"Yep."

She laughed. "Come on girl we are not in the 1960s anymore."

I laugh and hear someone coming. "Thanks for the information I will call you later."

"Okay. Goodnight."

She hung up and I look around to see who was coming but see no one and hear nothing but moaning.

'This is what I get for being paranoid.' I think while putting the ramen into the bowl. Making my decision not to call them to the table, I eat dinner alone and go to bed.