30 ~ Who Am I?

Morning sun rays peeped through the curtains, annoying the passed out Sumedh. He tossed in the bed and blinked lightly only to get back into a deep slumber.

But his eyes widened when he saw the two souls of his life, sitting on the couch opposite to him, with their eyes fixed on him. He sat up quickly, seeing their glare and hissed in pain, as his head pained like a hell.

Mallika was fast enough to reach out to him and rubbed his forehead soothingly. He looked at her with puppy eyes, but she was just glaring at him.

He was just hoping that she shouldn't have known about his yesterday's drunken state. But seeing her glaring at him constantly, he couldn't stay positive.

"Get fresh up and come down for breakfast." She kissed his forehead softly and went from there to downstairs.

His eyes fell on Helly, who was yet glaring at him. He just thought of any possibilities for them to be angry with him.

"Lee, did you tell anything to Jaan?" She just huffed at him and left from there piercing him with the glare.

He was totally confused and went to the restroom to freshen up. When he got dressed and came down to the dining room, they both were deadly silent and arranging the breakfast.

"Good morning, girls." He said actively and side hugged them both but he was pushed by Helly, meanwhile, Mallika forced him to sit and handed a lemonade to him.

"First drink this, then have breakfast and then tablets," Mallika said blankly and filled his plate with sandwiches.

Helly filled the coffee mug with hot tea and then they both left to the living room, making him furrow his eyebrows in confusion.

"Don't you both have breakfast?" He asked while drinking lemonade.

"And why does that bother you?" Mallika questioned back, without turning back and they both settled on the couch, turning on the TV.

He got up and walked towards them and sat on his knees in front of them, "I'm sorry, I shouldn't have drunk yesterday. Sorry."

He held his ears and looked at them with a cute pout. Helly held his ears and twisted them harshly, making him scream in pain. Mallika looked away, as she couldn't see him in pain.

"Did you think that I would be happy after knowing that my best friend was cheated by my crush, whom I had taken as a gentleman and was drinking due to him but bad mouthed about his wife for his state so that I wouldn't feel bad due to that bastard?" She was in tears and her grip over his ears loosened.

Sumedh didn't speak anything, as he remembered the events that happened at his office yesterday and how the CEO had given his dream project in India to Varun after the amount of hard work he put into it and made the Indian government signed a deal with their company.

He was frustrated and his anxiety disorder didn't help him either. But all he could do was resign his job from that betrayal company and leave silently for Helly. He knew how much Helly loved Varun though she acknowledged that as a crush.

He didn't want her to get broken, seeing his condition due to her love. He even talked ill about Mallika due to his self-control to not spit out Varun's betrayal. He thought of say her that he gave up on that project but before that she came to know about it.

"I know that you love him. So..." Before he could complete, he received a slap from her. He shut his eyes close and denied looking at her face.

"How could you do this to me and Mallika, Sumedh?! You wanted me to love him even after you know that he was a bloody cheater! To show that cheater was genuine in front of me, you talked ill about your baby Mallika. What the hell you were thinking!" She shouted and clutched her hair in frustration for falling for a bad guy.

Sumedh extended his arms to calm her down but she was beyond angry and pushed his arms away, "Just don't! Mallika, I'm leaving. Will meet you guys evening at the airport."

She gathered her stuff and left their house. Sumedh sighed and sat down on the floor, not knowing how to calm down Helly. He ran his fingers through his curls, being frustrated.

All of a sudden, he looked at Mallika, who was staring at the TV blankly, without any emotions on her pale face. He moved to her and held her hands in his, "Baby, sorry. I shouldn't have talked like that about you. Trust me, I didn't mean any words. I just didn't know at that time for what reason I could tell her about my frustrated state. It was all just a lie."

Mallika looked into his eyes and muttered, "I'm not upset about that. I can understand you for those small things at least I think."

Her voice was heavy, which gave immense pain to Sumedh. He didn't know the exact reason for her to be upset with him. But he knew that he was the sole reason for her pain.

"It's fine, you don't need to share anything with me. Who am I to you? I will go and do the packing for our return." She took her hands from his and went to their room.

She controlled her tears all the while and burst into a cry after reaching their room. She wanted him to get out of his depression and be happy like everyone. But here he was just burying everything inside his heart and treating her as if she was some third person.

She wasn't forcing him to be an open book. But he could at least share a few things with her instead of keeping them within his heart and being in pain.

She wished to be his pain relief but he was keeping her away from his pain as if she was some bitter medicine.

She felt Sumedh's presence in their room and wiped her tears immediately. His eyes pooled with tears, seeing her tears.

"Baby, I didn't mean to hide anything from you. I was just..." Before he could continue further, Mallika's mobile beeped with the message, cutting off.

She ignored him and unlocked the mobile to read the message and her hands trembled after reading it.

She felt weak on her knees and gave up, leaving her mobile to fall on the floor. Sumedh rushed to her and cupped her cheeks in his arms, "Baby, what did happen?"

Tears came out like a fall, as she looked into his eyes and held his hands, "J...Jiju..."

"Jiju? Your sister's husband?" He asked unsure to which she nodded her head and muttered, "D...dead. Jiju is dead!"

Sorry for being late

How was the update anyways?