23 ~ Miss you all

Though Sumedh tried to ignore the fact that he was in depression. It came back to him like waves reaching the seashore. He got up and sat in bed unable to sleep with Mallika.

He was feeling guilt more than thinking about his health condition. He soon got ready and kissed Mallika's forehead before leaving to meet the doctor.

Mallika woke up as usual at 9 a.m. Rohini, who knew very well about Mallika, didn't wake up her though her mother in law was shouting about Mallika's absence in the living room so long after sunrise.

As soon as Mallika woke up, she picked up her mobile and dialled Kartik's number. Though they both pull each other legs, they both were too close to each other.

"Mallika, is everything alright? You had called as soon as woke up. Did anything happen to Jiju? Are you okay?" Kartik bombarded her with questions, hearing her whimper from another end.

Unable to withhold her tears, she started crying heavily, "I...I... m...miss you a..all."

Kartik sighed in relief and showed his thumbs to others, who were watching him with worry and said, "It's okay, dear. I will come there sometime to pick up you. And we miss you as well."

Mallika cried more unconvincingly and became adamant to go to their house right at that moment. Kartik immediately cut the call and went to get ready to go to her house.

After taking bath, Mallika opened his wardrobe, where her things had been arranged by the servants yesterday. But her eyes fell on the specific row, where brand new short skirts and varieties of t-shirts hang.

Her eyes twinkled, seeing them. She understood that it might be Sumedh, who had bought them all for her.

She immediately picked a pair of red skirts and a white t-shirt and wore them above her inners. After getting ready properly, she went down while jumping leaving one step in the middle.

Rohini shared an eye lock with Vasudev nervously, feeling her mother in law's glare on Mallika. Vasudev blinked his eyes and assured her that he would take care of everything.

Mallika didn't notice others, as Rohini was just standing near the stairs and others were in the living room. She jumped on the floor from the third step childishly and landed in front of Rohini with a wide smile, "Mumma, Kartik bhai is on the way. I am going home. I am so happy. And yes, don't tell to Sumedh. I am angry with him. Yesterday night also he left me alone and today morning to he left even before I wake up. Tell him that I won't come back to him easily."

She twitched her lips with anger cutely. Rohini tried to take her from there to the pooja room but before that, her mother in law shouted at her, "Didn't you get anyone else for my Grandson? You said that she is illiterate and I was happy that she would behave properly and take care of him. But here she didn't even wake up when he was leaving for work. And see, as if we had tortured her, she was so happy to go to her house. Here all are waiting for breakfast prepared by her, but madam is ready to leave. What did you think, haan?! We all should beg as Madam please serve by your hand?!"

Mallika flinched at her tone and her eyes filled with tears easily. She looked at Mallika from top to bottom, "What the hell is this?! Is this the thing girl wears the very next day after the wedding? Showing off your legs to everyone. Was it your habit? Didn't you think that boys are here and your father in law is here? The shame of you!"

"Stop it!" Vasudev and Kartik, who had come there said loudly.

Vasudev and Rohini couldn't form any words, seeing Kartik there. Vasudev would have handled the situation well if Kartik wouldn't come there at that time. But now he should safeguard Sumedh and Mallika's relationship at any cost since Kartik was disapproved of their marriage yesterday.

Here Mallika was a crying mess since the old witch had pointed out her character. She ran to Kartik and hugged him tightly, weeping on his shoulder.

"What the hell are you thinking?! Do you know her value? Or do you know anything about behaviour and manner? What did you say? Illiterate! Listen, she is 1st rank holder in the ICSE syllabus on her board. She very well knows about manners more than you. And no one begged your grandson to marry her. Your grandson was adamant to marry her. She got married to him. It was he, who should accept her flaws. You don't need to interfere in their bloody life. If you dare to involve, I dare to show the hell to you!" He shouted and didn't wait for anyone's reply.

He threw the gifts he had brought for them on the floor and held Mallika's hand before dragging her out of the house. Meanwhile, Sumedh came out of his car all puzzled to see Mallika in tears and Kartik furious.

"Baby." His one word was enough for her to get out of Kartik's hold and hug him tightly.

He wrapped his arms around her securely and tugged her hair strands behind her ears. He could hear his father and grandmother's heated argument from inside the house.

Meanwhile, Rohini and others were gazing at Mallika worriedly.

"Kartik, I'm extremely sorry what had happened, dear. I swear it will never repeat." Rohini said in a cracked up voice, but Kartik just ignored her and went to Sumedh, "Where did you go this early? Didn't you think that she is your responsibility? Will you leave your wife on the very first day in the very new place with the old witch?"

"Shut up, Kartik!" This time, it was Deva, Sumedh's cousin. She moved forward angrily and continued, "See, whatever Nani said was absolutely shit. But you can't blame Sumi bhaiya for that. I just saw them yesterday, but I can feel their love for each other. Why can't you? Oh yes! You are that cold-hearted man, right? Who doesn't have any emotions to understand anyone's feelings? But don't think that I will be silent if you blame him. If she is your sister, then he is my brother. Stop blaming everyone! You are not less than, Nani. Even you had called me a characterless girl!"

Her eyes pooled with tears, leaving everyone puzzled. Mallika stopped her cry as well, as her thought diverted to Kartik and Deva, who had met just now according to her.

Maybe she was wrong.

Some words for this chapter