Year 5 Chapter 18

Author's Notes: As before, I'm not sorry for the cliffhanger. I've got to have some fun with you all, after all. So comes the end of the Order of the Phoenix section of my story. Again I want to give a big shout out to the Harry Potter Fandom Wikia as a wonderful resource in my writings trying to keep characters, events, and locations in order. I also want to thank each and every one of you who has been with me since I started writing this a few months ago, and those who have joined along the way. I still have two more "books" to write and will probably continue the story in some fashion after Heather leaves Hogwarts. So sit back and enjoy, and know there's plenty more still to follow.

Chapter Eighteen

 Heather's heart pounded as the door to the Room of Requirement opened. Through the crack in the door, she could see Hermione and Ginny leading a very confused looking Ron into her haven. A large lump formed in her throat at the thought of what was about to happen, but Heather knew it was time. One way or another Ron needed to know the truth about his best friend.

"Ok, Ron. Harry needs to tell you something." Said Hermione to Ron, leading him into the ring of armchairs.

"Well, where is he?' Ron asked, looking around.

 With shaking hands Heather pushed open the door from the closet and walked into view. Ron's eyes flew to her at the movement, and when they saw her, they went wide as dinner plates. Heather let her hands fall to her sides and had to exert a great deal of willpower not to let her hands visibly shake. No one spoke for several moments, Ron stood rooted to the floor, and the three girls were all holding their breath waiting for his response.

 Hoarsely, Ron finally croaked out, "Harry? Is that you?"

"Yeah, it's me Ron." Heather answered, trying to gauge what he was feeling by his face.

"Blimey" was all Ron was able to get out.

Heather hesitated, somehow, she had expected more from him.

"Why are you dressed like a girl?" asked Ron.

"I am a girl, Ron. Or at least, I'm going to become one." Heather responded.

"What do you mean, you're a girl?"

"That's who I am. It's taken me a while to figure it out, but this is who I really am." Heather said, waving her hands to indicate how she looked.

Ron went silent again, eyes darting to Ginny and Hermione as if asking if this was real. Both of them had drawn back slightly, leaving Heather and Ron alone in the center of the room.

"How long have you been doing all of this?" Ron asked, finding his words again.

"Since third year." Heather admitted

"And you never told me?" Ron asked, almost looking hurt.

Taken aback by the question, Heather paled. "Ron, how could I? I was afraid you would think I was a freak, or worse. And after the beginning of last year, I was afraid I'd lose you as a friend again."

Ron's face turned red with embarrassment as he recalled the words he'd flung at her the night her name came out of the Goblet of Fire. For so long he'd tried so hard to forget them. "Oh. Yeah, I guess I deserved that."

"Are you mad?" asked Heather.

"I'm not sure how I feel right now." It was an honest answer, Heather could see it in his face. She also took this as a small glimmer of hope. At least Ron hadn't gotten angry and stormed out at the start.

"So, what does this mean?" Ron asked, looking away from Heather and around the room.

"It means that I'm going to start becoming a girl next year. There are potions I can take that will help with it. It also means that I'm not Harry Potter anymore." Heather said.