025.

025. | SOMETIMES MURDER IS OKAY

"Carol Lockwood always said that togetherness, in times of tragedy, leads to healing." Liz starts.

Iris looks down at her candle, trying to avoid anyone seeing the slight tears building up in her eyes.

"That one community is stronger than a thousand of it's members. But how does a community stay strong after losing its leader?" Liz says. "And Carol was so much more than just a Mayor. She was... an open-minded friend... and a concerned mother, taken from us too soon by a terrible accident."

"Screw this." Tyler spoke before handing his candle to Iris.

She took it and looked up at him confused. "Where are you going?"

"Tyler." Caroline protested.

"Please join me in observing a minute of silencing in her memory." Liz spoke.

"I'll be right back." Iris said before blowing out the candles and lying them down.

She quickly ran out of the gym before they took their moment of silence. When Iris got out Tyler was against a locker crying.

"Tyler." she spoke quietly.

"I'm fine." he turned from her. "I just— I don't need a relatable pep talk, or anything. I just need a minute."

"I wasn't going to talk. I was just going to be here." Iris told him as she stepped closer.

Tyler turned back towards her, his eyes puffy and red from crying. "My mom—" a choked sob escaped from him and Iris immediately hugged him.

"I know." she rubbed circles on his back, and shushed him. She took in a deep breath as his arms tightly wrapped around her small figure.

Iris hated to see Tyler this way. They had been friends since they were born and he was always so strong and cocky. She had never seen him like this, not even when his dad died.

She understood his need not to talk. All Iris wanted was a hug when her parents died. She didn't want the, "It gets better", or "How are you doing"? She loved the silence and comfort of someone else's arms.

"Let go of me, Rebekah." Iris protested against the girl's strength

"I'm not going to hurt you. Kol won't let me." the blonde rolled her eyes. "But you're going to sit through this with the rest of your friends."

"Iris too?" Caroline questioned as Rebekah walked into the room with her.

"Elena? Stefan?" she asked. "What's going on?"

"Class is in session." Rebekah said. "You've all been compelled, except Iris. You know the rules. Answer my questions honestly, no disobedience, no one leaves. April, my sweet, take notes. This is how you get answers in this town."

"Why am I here? There's nothing new about me. I don't do drama, so can I leave?" Iris says.

"No." Rebekah states. "Your surprise will be here sooner or later."

"My surprise?" Iris draws her eyebrows together, but Rebekah only smiles.

"Let's start with a little quiz." Rebekah says. "I'm the year 1114, my brother learned— Thanks to yours truly— About a brotherhood of vampire hunters with tattoos that grew with each kill. And these tattoos reveal what? Elena?"