Experiments

The quiet Sunday morning, Mullai's phone beeped on the nearby stand. Grumbling, Mullai woke up, nicely wrapped inside the quilt. She stretched her body, tapped her mouth to prevent yawns, and scanned Kathir sleeping peacefully nearby.

"Rasiyana mogham," Mullai blew a soft kiss to her sleeping husband. She then glanced at her mobile, dancing due to vibrations.

"Kalangathala yaaru phone parrudhu," she whined, hesitantly taking the mobile. Her eyes widened on seeing the caller ID.

"Paaru ma!"

"Aathi amma," she cleared her throat and answered the call, teasingly twisting her hair. "Matha ji, yenna kazhailayae phone uh...yenna appa koratta sattam pottu thoonga vida mattikirara...?" Mullai playfully asked.

"Yen di naan onnaku phone pannakudada...?" Parvathi asked.

"Pch, appidi naan sonena yenna..." Mullai replied, getting quite angry.

"Kalyanam panni poita odanae amma va marandutta illa, idhuka naan unna pathu masam..." Parvathi started with the typical lines of an Indian mother, but Mullai stopped her.

"Ayoo ma podhum podhum ethana vaati adhayae solluva needhan yenna pathu masam somandhu petha, adhuku naan yenna senjalum eedu agadhu podhuma, ippo vera vishayatha sollu..." Mullai said, shutting her mom's mouth.

"Ippadiyae solli yen vaaiya adachiru...seri mapilla yepadi irrukaru yellam sowkiyama...sandhoshama dhana irrukinga..." Parvathi asked.

"Ella vidathulayum...mmm yenna amma solla varanga..." Mullai bit her lips and rolled her eyes to understand what her mom was trying to make her understand.

"Ohh andha yella vidathulayum ah...achoo indha amma va..." Mullai hit her head, closing half of her face with her palm, making her face look like a bright half-moon.

"Inga patha oru muthathukae vaazhi ya kanom idhula ivara yella vidathulayum sandhoshama vechikanuma...sandhoshama irrunda maari dhan..." Mullai said to herself, shaking her head at her mom's silliness and her husband's laziness.

"Seri ma..." Mullai said softly. Parvathi understood that her daughter caught the point.

"Seri adhu pogatum mapillai ku nalla kaari meen nu edhuttu samaichu kodukuriya..." her mother asked.

"Edhu kaari meen ah yen ma yennakudhan non-veg samaika varadhunu unnaku theriyum la..." Mullai asked, confused.

"Edho seri, kadaila vangura masala packet ellam vangadha edhayavadhu kazhandurupainga, odambuku ottukadha naan veetla masala araichu vechiruken vandhu vangittu po, aprom manga urugai pottu vechiruken adhum vandhu eduttutu po..." Parvathi said strictly.

"Seri ma..." Mullai agreed, smiling.

After a fifteen-minute talk with her mother, Mullai cut the phone, rolled her hair into a bun, and, with a small prayer for a good day, went to the bathroom with her fuzzy purple towel.

**

"Ennanga naan konjam kadaiku poitu vanduren, appadiyae amma vayum pattutu vandhuren..." Mullai said, adjusting the small bindi on her face.

"Mmm seri...ahn yenadhu kadaiku poriya, unnaku konjam mavadhu arivu irruka..." Kathir said, frowning.

"Yenga titturinga..." Mullai said, pouting her rosy lips.

"Tittama pinna konjuvangala unna..." Kathir pressed his lips into a thin line.

"Ama appadiyae konjitalum..." Mullai mumbled, looking somewhere.

"Yenna sonna..." Kathir asked, seeing her mumble something.

"Ahn onnulayae..." Mullai said, shaking her head, giving out an innocent look.