Frost

Jumping on her toes, Mullai runs towards her suitcase and takes out her personal album, carefully placing the note in it. Returning to the kitchen, she turns off the flame and pours the hot tea into Kathir's specially reserved gray mug, saving the rest in a Milton flask.

By the time Kathir returns from his room in his usual track pants and T-shirt, Mullai greets him with a limp "Tea," placing the hot mug on the table. Kathir, scrolling through his phone, takes the mug and sips the tea, giving life to his sore throat. Suddenly, he remembers something, places the mug on the dining table, and looks up at Mullai.

"Nee innaiku yen bathroom laya kulicha...?" he asks, squinting his brows.

Caught off guard, Mullai blinks like a deer caught in headlights, not anticipating Kathir's early return.

"Adhu yen bathroom la thani varala, adhan onga bathroom ah appadiyae clean pannitu angayae kulichiten..." she says with a sheepish look.

Raising a brow effortlessly, Kathir questions, "Yen bathroom ah nee dhan clean pannuriya..."

Confused, Mullai blinks again. "Ippo idhu rombha mukhiyam paaru," her mind mentally gives Kathir a knock on his head.

Giving him a naughty smile, she answers, "Illa naan clean pannala, adhukae kaai molachu thanavae clean pannikichu..." she says, adding a playful tone.

Kathir opens and closes his mouth several times, unable to respond. Then, he quietly sips on his tea.

"Seri fresh ayittu vanga, naan poi tea poduren..." Mullai says, leaving Kathir to stare after her.

Later, in her room, she changes into her most comfortable cotton top and maroon skirt, feeling the exhaustion from the events of the day. As she falls onto her bed, she hears Kathir shouting her name loudly in the hall.

"Thonga vida mattarun indha manushan..." she huffs, getting up to see what he wants.

"Yennanga..." she asks irritatedly as she finds him standing angrily with his clothes.

"Nee dhan yen thuni ya thovaichiya..." he accuses her.

"Ama adh..." Before she could explain, he starts shouting.

"Unna yaaru thovaika sonna, naan unkitta vandhu ketena yen thuni ya thovaichu kudu nu, oru vishayatta seiyuradhuku munnadi kekanumnu theriyadha..." he rants angrily.

Without a proper chance to respond, he spills hurtful words. "Ippidi ellam senju yenna mayakalam nu pakiriya..." he questions with disbelief.

That was it. Mullai bursts out with full anger. "Ungaluku manasula yenna kamal hassan nu nenapa, naan unga thuni ya thovaikuradha periya bhakiyama nenaikiradhuku..." she sneers.

"Nee venumna yenna unga pondatti ya nenaikama irrundirukalam, ana naan apidi kedaiyadhu, adhutta varathula irrundhu dhobi ya vara solliruken avaru vandhu unga thuni ya thovaipaaru..." she fires back.

Leaving Kathir to stare in her wake, she goes away. He looks at the clothes in his hand, realizing they always fought over silly things-no, correction- he fought over silly things. His intention was not to hurt her, and when he saw that she washed his clothes, he felt happy. But Mullai, a pampered kid in her house, might find it difficult. He didn't want to leave the impression of making her do difficult tasks, and he could have expressed his concern for her properly. His concern was right, but the words he chose were wrong. Kathir hits his head, realizing how easily those hurting words escaped his mouth. Shaking his head, he goes back to his room to attend to his impatiently ringing mobile.

In the meantime, Mullai falls on the soft makeshift bed, tears streaming down her face. Her phone rings, and she wipes her tears to answer. It's Anitha calling, her friend from abroad. They both were photojournalists working in the same company, and after marriage, Anitha moved to Dubai. Though they had parted ways, they always kept in touch.

With a hoarse voice, she answers the call. "Uyiroda dhan irrukiya..." Anitha starts, typical friend comment. "Indha hi...hello sollura palakam lam illaya..." Mullai replies, trying to lighten the mood.

"Podi hi hello onnu dhan korachal, yen di unnaku naan oruthi irruken appidingradhayae marandutta illa..." Anitha says sadly.

"Appidi illa di, marriage ayiduchu la, orae busy avlodhan unna eppudi di marapen..." Mullai coos, but her fake smile fades away. "Are you sure it's just a small fight?" Anitha asks, sensing Mullai's trouble.

"Ama, just oru chinna sandai dhan, nothing much. Ana I felt so hurt..." Mullai confesses, her voice trembling.

"Did he hit you or something?" Anitha asks, concerned.

"Chi chi...illa illa...unmaiya sollanumna avaru yenna adichu irrundha koda avlo valichu irrukadhu. I... I feel so... exhausted..." Mullai says, expressing her emotional fatigue.

"Ohh... Mullai, you know marriage life epomae clouds and candies ah irrukadhu illa. Ella husband and wife kulayum prechanaigal varadhu sagajam dhan..." Anitha states, trying to provide some perspective.

"I know right... ennakum theriyum... unnakae theriyum mine wasn't a lovey-dovey marriage... actually, Kathir was engaged to akka before... and apram after akka's death... we both got married... so I kinda expected this already..." Mullai explains.

"Hmm... puriyudhu di... nee rombha stress pannikadha seriya... just try being patient..." Anitha suggests.

Mullai gives a dry laugh. "Patient... Ani seriously I have been more than patient, and I will be, of course. Ana manasu rombha valikudhu di... he didn't even ask for a sorry..." Mullai complains.

"Naan onnum idha ungala mayakuradhu kagha seiyala, unga melae pavama pattu unga nelamai ah purinji sejen..." Anitha offers her advice.

"Hmmm..." Mullai hums, taking her friend's advice to heart.

"Mulla naan onnum kepen badhil solluviya...?" Anitha asks a bit seriously.

"Sollu di..." Mullai responds.

"Nee... you... you love your husband, right...?" Anitha hesitantly asks.

There is a pregnant pause, and then Mullai replies, "Of course di... idhu yenna kelvi avaru melae irruka love nalla dhan naan ivlo porumaya irruken... inneram yen yedattula vera ponnu irrundhuchuna thunda kanom, thuniya kanom nu odirukum..." She rolls her eyes as she speaks.

Anitha laughs out loud at her friend's statement. "Adhu seri..." Anitha says, laughing. "Thanks..." Mullai says, smiling after a long time.

"Un thanks ah neeyae vechiko, seekiram neeyum Kathir um sandhoshama irruku maari oru pic annupu... Adhu podhum..." Anitha says.

"Super... and once again rombha thanks di... nee innaiku yenkitta pesalana naan odanju poirupen... nee pesama marriage counsellor ah poirukalam..." Mullai says.

"Yendi nee vera kadupa kelapura, idha poi naan yen husband kitta sonna nalla irruka purushan pondatti ya piruchuradha nee pesi nu sollraru..." Anitha says with a grimace.

Mullai gives a chuckle, and both of them speak for some more time before bidding their goodbyes. Putting her phone for charging, Mullai rubs her eyes. "Let him see how you behave..." Anitha's words echo in Mullai's ears. She feels clear-minded and fresh after speaking to Anitha. Bracing herself, she walks towards Kathir's room.

She finds him doing some work on his laptop. She knocks on his door twice, surprising Kathir.

"Adhu... vandhu naan... naan... yenna manichirunga... naan konja neram munnadi edho kovathula pesiten manasula vechikadinga..." She tries to explain.

Kathir looks at her gobsmacked. When she sits without replying, Mullai says, "Sollanum nu thonichu sonnen... naan... poi samaikiren..." She starts to move, but Kathir calls out her name.

"Mulla oru nimishamm..." Kathir says, standing up and straightening his shirt. He walks up to her, clearing his throat multiple times.

He says the most unexpected words, "Sorry..." Mullai stares at him slack-jawed.

In a state of surprise, she pinches him to make sure it's no dream. "Ouch..." Kathir rubs the stinging area. "Sorry sonna kizhura..." he looks at his wife weirdly.

"Ippo yenna soninga..." Mullai asks excitedly.

"I said I am sorry..." Kathir states again. Exactly after twenty seconds that seemed like two hours to Kathir, Mullai asks him, "Thalai la engayadhu adi pattucha..."!!

To be continued...