Recreation

Hey man," Ramesh's nosy head peeped inside Kathir's cabin.

Kathir jumped a little at the sudden intrusion and closed his laptop immediately upon seeing him.

"Dei, arivu kettavanae, door ah knock pannittu enter pannu nu ethana vaati solluradhu," Kathir scowled.

"Seri da, adha vidu... nee yenna, naan vandha odanae laptop ah close pannura?" Ramesh asked suspiciously.

"Bittu padam edhavadhu pakkuriya yenna," he asked.

Kathir's eyes widened like his favorite cup's saucer.

"What the hell... no," he denied firmly.

"Hey, nee pathalum naan edhum solla maaten," Ramesh said, throwing his hands up in the air.

Kathir shook his head exasperated.

"You are a dumbass," he mouthed.

"And you are a badass," Ramesh retorted back.

Kathir shot a glare at him.

"Adhu yenna kaila paper... resignation letter ah yenna?" Kathir asked playfully.

"You wish.... idhu vacation letter... oruvaliya Shwetha va irruku kutitu polam," he huffed.

"Woah... aren't you the wife lover," Kathir hollered.

"And aren't you the wife hater," Ramesh shot back.

"Hey... I don't hate my wife," Kathir said immediately.

"Then you love your wife or what?" Ramesh questioned back.

That put Kathir in deep thought. He didn't hate her, but he didn't love her either. He was in this nameless bubble with her. He liked her, but maybe he would love her in the future. Ramesh smiled at his friend. Kathir wasn't the type of person who wears their heart on sleeves to know what's going on in their mind. Still, everybody was glad to see the small changes in him, even if it meant eating Mullai's weird YouTube recipes, laughing at her silly jokes, and smiling at her for no reason.

It was one balmy Sunday evening. Mullai was mixing the flour for making cake, and Manju came and sat silently beside her.

"Mulla..." she whispered.

"Sollu," Mullai said mixing the flour.

"Mulla, nee... nee yenna muzhusa mannichutiya?" she asked hesitatingly.

Mullai let out a long sigh.

"Unna mannika naan yaaru?" she asked directly.

"Yenna di, ippidi sollura nee yen thangachi papa," Manju said, pleading.

"Ohh, thangachi, ipoo dhan un kannuku therunjena... nee ivalo problem la irrudiruka.. yennkitta oru vartha.. oru vartha sollanum nu thonala la unnaku," Mullai said, and she sounded so hurt.

"Papa appudi illa," Manju felt so bad.

"Illa, appudi dhan.. and that shows how much you didn't trust, and it hurts, ju..." Mullai said, and tears fell out of her eyes.

"I feel so bad that I couldn't help my sister... rombha kastama irruku," Mullai said as she wiped the tears falling down her cheeks. Manju hugged her.

"Sorry," she whispered.

"Only if you promise me that you would trust me hereafter... more than anyone," Mullai demanded.

"Kandippa," Manju said, and Mullai hugged her.

"Woah, am I disturbing something," Kathir said when he entered the kitchen.

"Illa naanum akka vum compromise pannikitom," Mullai grinned happily.