Reality Check Gone Wrong

En başından başla

            “You needed a fucking reality check!” Angel spat back at me. “You were mumbling something about Peeta and Gale, then your dad dying. I don’t know what’s gotten into your head lately but it seems with all this fame from being around the boys has brought out your giant ego. Get over yourself. Yes, they are the most popular band in thirty-seven countries worldwide, but your just one girl, mmkay? ONE. FUCKING. GIRL! Cool your head off!” she yelled in a lower pitch so as not to be yelled at by the stage manager again.

            “Uh,” was all I could respond with. She was right; I needed a serious reality check, and a break from the boys.

            “Okay, I'm sorry, I overreacted,” she hung her head and I wrapped my arms around her chest in a tight hug.

            “No, I’ve been acting like a royal bitch lately. I haven’t hung out with you much since I got here. I'm sorry… tomorrow we need a girl day, complete with crashing both our debits and credits, whaddya say?” I looked at her with concerned eyes and she nodded enthusiastically.

            “Yes! I need some bonding time! I have so much to tell you!” she squealed and I totally forgot about my swelling cheek. “Let’s sneak out quickly for coffee, I am in desperate need of a caramel macchiato and that stage manager is about to burst a vein if we stay here.” She pointed out and I nodded in agreement.

            “Wait,” I whispered, taking a peek onstage to see the guys. “I need to sneak into Josh’s dressing room quickly for some serious payback. Yeah, he thinks he can just embarrass me like that in front of the world and get away with it?” I scoffed and Angel laughed, linking our elbows and we skipped lightly down the stage hallway to his room. I creaked inside and shut the door quickly behind us. Looking around I noticed his regular hoodie, bag, and car keys in a pile by a rack of clothing. Perfect.

            “Quick!” Angle yell-whispered and I dashed away from the door towards his property, leaving Angel to guard the door. I grabbed up every item of clothing that I saw, including some that didn’t even look like his, his keys, and phone. I shoved everything into the bag and made a break for the door. Angle flung it open and we raced down the halls towards the back entrance. I felt something drop from the bag and stopped to pick it up. It was the damn keys. They echoed around the empty hallway before settling to a stop and I bent down to pick them up. The first think I noticed was the little charm he had attached to the ring. It was the charm I had given him. I ran my fingers over the cool metal, forgetting about the rush we were in to sneak out, and let all the memories flash back into my mind for one final time.

            “You OK?” Angle asked and I nodded shurly, picking up the keys and tucking them back into the bag.

            “Yeah,” I said honestly. “Just remembered something.” I added with a secret smile to myself. I knew Josh and I would always have those memories, but that’s just what they were, memories; I was living in the present and it was about time my mind caught up to that.

            “Well let’s go stupid, before they catch us!” She grabbed my hand and we ran out into the cool air with a giant sigh.

            “So where to now?” I asked and she shrugged.

            “I guess there,” she said pointing to a small Dunkin Donuts a few blocks over. I smiled, hauled the heavy bag over my shoulder and we walked hand-in-hand toward out caffeine refreshments.