Part Two, Chapter Sixteen: Charlie Gets Canceled

Start from the beginning

 At the sound of her coming in, he turned to her and gave her a smile. 

"Hey, B." He said. 

Beatrice felt her bottom lip tremble. 

She tripped as she ran over to him, and hugged him tight. Everything on the table beside the hospital bed was thrown to the floor as the tears began to fall. Normally she would feel bad about losing control of her powers like that in front of someone, but at the moment, she couldn't find it in herself to care.

 TJ gently patted her on the back.

"It's okay." He said. "Try and calm down."

She nodded as her tears continued to come. 

"I'm sorry, TJ." She said through them. 

"You sound like Lin." TJ said. At least he sounded amused. 

"I should have known." She said, "I should have looked for you."

"You still sound like Lin." He said. 

"Well he can't get all of the credit for apologizing." She huffed, breaking away from him to wipe away her tears. "That's not fair." 

"There's nothing for me to forgive anyway." He said with a smile. 

Beatrice couldn't say she felt the same, but she returned his smile, though she hoped he couldn't tell that hers was forced. 

"So much has happened." She shook her head. "I don't even know where to start. 

"Well I already know there's a lot I need to catch up on." He said with a smile. "Like, apparently you can just stream TV shows now. You don't have to plan your whole evening around when new episodes come out."

Beatrice managed to laugh a little and rub her eyes one more time. 

"And apparently you have a job? And a girlfriend?" He continued. "Next thing I know you're going to tell me you have friends." 

Beatrice felt her face grow hot with embarrassment.

"I mean, I do sort of have one friend." She said, thinking back to Harleigh. Their relationship mostly consisted of Harleigh sending her over fifty memes a day, while Beatrice laughed to herself about them and never responded. She supposed it was the closest thing she had to a friendship, probably ever. 

"Well that's good. I'm proud of you."

"Did Lin tell you that I went to jail?" She asked.  

TJ looked taken aback. 

"What?"

"Nothing. Nevermind." She quickly said. "More importantly, what's going to happen to you when they finally let you out of here? Are they sending you to jail? Do you know who kidnapped you? How are you not dead?"

"I, well—" he quickly looked overwhelmed.

Beatrice immediately felt bad about bombarding him with so many questions and tried to back track. 

"Sorry—I didn't mean– you don't have to answer all of that. I'm sure you should be resting anway."

"No. It's okay."  He said. "I'll probably be out of here by the end of the week."

"Where will you go?" Beatrice asked. 

"Lin wants me to stay with him." TJ said. 

There was something in his voice that made it seem like he was trying to seem happy when he wasn't, and Beatrice quickly caught on to it. She raised her eyebrows at him.