Chapter Thirty

Magsimula sa umpisa

With a shaky hand, I reached for the book. Was this going to suck me in like the book of prophecies back in Listra? As soon as my fingers grazed the coarse spine, my eyes rolled back and I was consumed by a vision.

"Elizabeth!"

The smell of dirt and dust hit me before I even opened my eyes. Blinking rapidly I tried to make out anything in the cold darkness, the thick damp air made it difficult to breathe. What is this? Where am I? Carefully I took a small step forward, my heart raced with a fear of falling. The sound echoed and in its path awoke dormant flames which suddenly burst to life and lined a stone path in front of me. The sudden light caused me to jump back and clutch my chest in an effort to keep my heart inside me.  Deep chasms emerged on either side with no bottom in sight and at the end of the bridge was a small silver crystal on a stone pedestal. Was that what we needed?

A strong wind howled and swept into the temple knocking my legs out from under me and pushing me out of the chamber with incredible speed. I was suddenly surrounded by the forest, trees so tall they seemed to disappear into the clouds. The white striped bark zoomed past me as I continued to fly backwards. Squinting ahead I could see the faintest outline of a stone building disappearing into the forest. Reality distorted around me as I got faster and faster until I was back in the archives and slammed into my body.

I jerked upward, clutching my pounding head. Isaac kneeled over me, his brows knitted together as he searched my face. "Are you okay? Elizabeth?"

His words were drowned out by the intense pounding in my head and high-pitched whistle. Taking in deep breaths through gritted teeth, the magic in me was like a tornado swirling inside my stomach. The visions were getting stronger—painful even.

"There's...some sort of crystal in the Deep Grove, I'm not sure what it was but I think that's what we're looking for." The words came out in rasps as I massaged my temples and Isaac helped me up off the floor. Ezekiel was pouring over the book that had sent me into a vision. I wasn't going to touch it again that was for sure.

Ezekiel's eyes widened as he paused on a page, "the answer lies dormant beneath the ground." He pointed to the strange lettering below a drawing of a shimmering temple. It looked sort of like the one I had been transported to but less deteriorated.

"It used to be the Temple of Hephelia before the fall of our people and the war that split us apart. But I don't understand...how is the crystal still there? It's in the middle of Arvellalei territory; they would have desecrated and stripped the temple clean.''

"It was pretty deteriorated in my vision, maybe the chamber is hidden? Or do they think the crystal was just some rock? What I'm trying to figure out is what we do with the crystal once we retrieve it."

Ezekiel smiled wide, "You are right, the Arvellalei likely do not realize what it is, but I think I know."

"And you are certain this is what we need to do?" the Keeper asked as we all gathered in the common room back in the guest house. Ezekiel had just explained what happened back in the archives and his suspicions regarding the crystal. Even I was skeptical, how could something so important be buried untouched in a temple? Why didn't the Arvellalei take it?  How were we going to use it to close the breach?

"I am, it has to be a star fragment. I don't see the goddess pointing us in any other direction.'' Ezekiel passed the Keeper the book we found in the archives and we all sat anxiously while she skimmed through it.

"This temple is in the middle of Arvellalei lands... sending our hunters would be seen as an act of war."

"We wouldn't need to send the hunters, I would lead Isaac, Elizabeth, and Isabella to the temple. We could charm some cloaks and stay low, the Arvellalei wouldn't even know we crossed the border."

The keeper stared long and hard at Ezekiel, then glanced at Isabella and me, her eyes burning fiercely. "Very well. I will get the potion masters on those cloaks you'll ride out in an hour."

We all bowed to the Keeper as she left. My heart hammered in my chest. We were going to journey deeper into the forest.

"Are you sure we can do this?! What if we run into Raven Stalkers!"

Isaac pulled me close, my body started to shake and my throat closed at the thought of running into those beasts again.

I can't do this...

"I... I can't..." my voice shook.

"Maybe you should stay here then." Isaac soothed. "We can go and you and Isabella can stay here."

"No way am I not going, old temple sounds fun! I don't have a problem with stalkers." Isabella stepped forward. "Plus I'm pretty well versed in magic. I agree that Elizabeth should stay here."

"What?! No! It would drive me mad not knowing..."

Ezekiel grasped both my shoulders and met my frantic eyes. "I won't lie to you, there are Stalkers deeper in the forest. But, they tend to keep to their hunting grounds. I can safely guide them to the temple and back. You have my word."

There was no way I wasn't going. Even though the thought terrified me, if. Something were to happen... I would never forgive myself. I have to do this.

Taking a deep breath I shook my head, "I'm going. I can't just stay here and wait."

"Then it's settled. I will pack what we need. Meet me in the stables when ready, just across the courtyard outside."

©2021 Jessica Powell. All Rights Reserved