Chapter Two

I woke up to the annoying beeping of my alarm

I woke up to the annoying beeping of my alarm. I lifted my head up from the pile of books on my bed, all my homework in a discombobulated mess. Ugh, I must have fallen asleep while doing them. I groggily got up out of bed and looked at the alarm, and bolted from my bed, 6:50! I'm late! Tripping over my bag and rushed to find my uniform. I threw all my work into my bag and hurried down the stairs, stopping in front of dad's office.

"Dad! Why didn't you wake me up!" I opened the door, only to find the room empty. That's weird... Where did he go? His office was a mess. There were papers everywhere; his laptop was gone, and so was his bag. Maybe he had an early meeting?

I didn't have time to ponder. I grabbed a vanilla yogurt drink from the fridge and bolted out the door. The air was cold again this morning, making my lungs burn as I ran down the street towards my stop.

My feet hit the pavement hard. My chest heaved, and my eyes stung. God, I hate running! I was so glad I didn't have to go to gym class anymore. I turned the corner and saw the bus waiting. I waved my arms to get the driver's attention. Thank god. I made it. I thanked the lady for waiting and sat in my seat.

Shit! It suddenly occurred to me. I forgot to take my meds. Dread overcame me, and my mind raced. I had never failed to take them, even if they never worked. But... what if they had been, if only just slightly.

I could text dad... but with the state of his office, he was obviously stressed out. I didn't want to put more stress on him. I nervously bit my nails as anxiety clawed at my stomach. I looked out the window, trying to focus on the horizon, but my mind was running a million miles a second. I plugged my headphones in and put some calming music on. Pulling my knees up to my chest, I put my head down and tried to block out as much as I could. I prayed my mind stayed silent.

A light tap on my shoulder popped my bubble of solitude. I looked up. Jessica was on the bus, and she smiled. We must've gotten to school. Vivienne was looking at me like I was a freak as usual.

"Hey, Liz? Are you okay?" Jessica asked, worry evident in her voice. Why did she hang out with me? I just cause her to worry.

"I'm fine, Jess. Just tired." I got up and followed her off the bus; even the bus driver regarded me with pity. Jess continued to stare at me as we made our way to Mrs. Emerson's class.

"Why are you looking at me like that? I told you, I'm alright."

She shook her head. "I'm not stupid, Liz. I can tell something is wrong, and I'm just going to continue to worry if you don't tell me." We sat at our desks and she reached out to touch my hand.

"You know I'll never judge you. But, I want to help if I can."

Anxiety clawed at me. She's lying. She'll leave you just like your mother. I shook my head. I knew the thought wasn't true. I took a deep breath and tried to push the negative thoughts out of my mind. "I... I forgot to take my medicine."