Chapter Twenty-Eight

We all stared at the keeper, dumbstruck

We all stared at the keeper, dumbstruck. I knew there were psychics in the past, but I didn't realize we had come straight from the goddess.

Isaac narrowed his eyes in confusion. "How is it that this is the first time I've heard of these deities? Why isn't there any record of them in the sanctuary?"

The keeper leaned forward. "Well, time, I suppose. It was a very, very long time ago. The writings were lost among your people during the countless wars. Our race has been here for so long, and our history is all around us. We've taken pride in keeping it, passing it down through generations."

"Arvorians have only recently started keeping history and scouring the world for such history on the goddess." Isabella chimed in, "they never thought to come to the elves because of the stigma around them."

A man walked into the room with a tray full of bottles and cloths, the servant from earlier closely followed.

"Ah! Ezekiel, Nesiara, good." The keeper stood up and clapped her hands together, "I think it's time we retire for the night. It has gotten very late, and you all must be tired from your long journey. Nesiara will show you to your rooms, and Ezekiel will tend to your wound, Lady Elizabeth."

"But what about the portal? How are we supposed to stop a God from coming through?" I asked frantically. I couldn't even begin to process how we could. My vision clearly showed he would not be coming in peace. He wanted to see the world burn.

"There will be time to plan in the morning. Worry not. You are safe here. Rest up. We will talk in the morning." She bowed, "good night."

We all turned our attention to Nesiara, who waved us towards the corridor they had come from. She led us down the long hall and stopped at three doors. "These are your rooms. Thremael is a bit farther down the hall in room ten. If you need anything, I am in room fifteen. There is also a crystal by your beds that will alert me if you tap it." She opened one of the rooms and looked at me. "Come, Lady Elizabeth, let's tend to your wounds." She looked over at Isabella and Isaac. "Two other maids should be here shortly to help you two get settled."

I nervously followed Nesiara into the dark room, which quickly lit up upon entering. I couldn't help but stare. The elves were truly exotic-looking. Their eyes were wide and slanted ever so slightly, and even the men had long hair set in various braids. Ezekiel's vibrant crystal blue eyes roamed over my back as he assessed my wound.

"Lady Elizabeth, I need to remove the fabric from your back. Are you comfortable with that?" He asked in a calming voice. I nodded, slowly easing my shirt off, holding it close to my chest. I felt his long fingers glide down my back, spreading a cooling gel over my burning wound. Then his hands started to glow a soft purple.

That was strange. I didn't hear him use an incantation. "Do you not need to speak to use magic?" I asked, my voice shaking from my nerves.

"No. Honestly, I'm not sure why that was spread among your people. Using the words of the gods is unnecessary. If one is connected deeply with their aura, all they should need is the intent. I will say the will to heal comes more naturally to me than others." He smiled.