Chapter Four

I was floating

I was floating. It felt so good. But I knew I was sleeping for too long... No matter how hard I tried, I couldn't wake up. There was a commotion a while ago; I could hear people shouting and shaking me. My eyes wouldn't open. I just continued to fall into the darkness.

Where am I?

My skin chilled, and a rough, scratchy blanket was pulled over me. I was lying on something soft and warm.

I opened my eyes and was blinded by a bright light. I quickly shut them. Slowly my hearing came back, and I became more aware of what was around me. My father's voice came through. He was talking to someone.

"I don't know what I'm doing here!" He continued, his tone rising. "...You said this would stop, that it was for the best, but I'm not sure anymore..." His voice dropped, filling with worry. "They say she's stable..."

I've never heard my father so broken... So desperate. I wanted to tell him I was okay. But I felt so heavy.

"Yeah... I know... She's been doing what! Is that wh―... you need to fix this!... Okay...Goodbye." He let out a shaky sigh, and I felt myself slipping again. I must not be at Jessica's anymore. How long have I been asleep? The world faded away from me again.

I didn't know how long I was out. Time was a strange thing when you had no senses.

Something suddenly pulled me from my chest. Like a snap, I felt like I was burning. The heat was so suffocating. Then it was freezing cold, sending me into shock.

An invisible tether pulled my being and harshly tugged me forward. There was a light in the distance getting bigger and brighter at a rapid pace. I was going too fast! The light swallowed me, the sheer pressure making my body feel like it had been slammed repeatedly into a wall.

My senses came rushing back to me. I could feel everything- specifically the tube that was down my throat. I groaned; it was immensely uncomfortable.

"She's awake!" A familiar voice yelled.

The instant I opened my eyes, I regretted it. The lights in the room were too intense. It hurt. I looked over to my side, where the voice had come from.

Isaac sat there, shocked, then smiled widely. "Welcome back."

The nurses rushed me, and the doctor came running in. I coughed. My throat felt like sandpaper. They removed a bunch of tapes and slowly pulled the tube. I took a deep breath and gagged, feeling light-headed. The doctors were asking me things, but I couldn't register what they were saying. I was so confused. Tears formed in my eyes. I tried to speak, but everything hurt too much.

Where was I? Where's dad? Why was Isaac here?

After fixing me up, dad finally came rushing into the room. His shirt was wrinkled and haphazardly thrown on. His hair was tousled and matted; he looked like he hadn't showered in days. He began to weep at the sight of me.