Chapter 5: The Beast

Chapter 5

Next day in college was not very eventful for Madhu. It's just second day and she's feeling bored already. Only after the first week, the serious academic year would be started. In the meanwhile, they were briefed about the semester and the assignments which they would be doing.

Madhu and Kushi were in cafeteria of college at a corner facing each other. They were planning together about their academic year, assignments, group project and decided to do combine studies. They felt lucky as they both took same courses.

Madhu lifted her head up from her notebook and glanced around the cafe. The cafe was filled with laughter, chatters and few seniors ragging their juniors whom they found interesting. Even she was ragged, more like interrogated, mostly by boys. Most interesting part was she got few stares from them and her batch mates too. Even now, they were giving her curious stares.

Madhu asked nervously, "Is something wrong with me Kushi?"

"What?" Kushi asked.

"Is there anything on my dress or on my face?" She was wearing a white cotton shirt having a smiley emoji with a line saying 'Be happy' and tight fitting black jeans. She doesn't have any makeup and left her hair loose hanging assessing her round face. She was different, unlike the day before, in her western outfit. "Few are staring at me. And even you were shocked when you first saw me," Madhu said.

Kushi shook her head confused. "No, Madhu! You-" Madhu cut her off.

"Then why are they staring like that? They're freaking me out," She said looking around.

"No Madhu.. You look good.. More than good... I don't know about others but I am quite shocked that you dress like this," she confessed hesitantly.

"What do you mean?" Madhu asked again confused.

"I mean I didn't think you wear jeans and shirts," Kushi said. Madhu raised an eyebrow.

Kushi sighed. "I don't wear these kind of dresses. I am not used to them. When I first saw you I thought you too won't," Kushi said slightly embarrassed. Her ears turned pink when she said that.

Madhu laughed and was slightly amused, "What's wrong with them Kushi? Don't you like them?"

Kushi shrugged. "I don't like to expose much. Since childhood I am used to this kind of clothing. Only chudidars. My mom never let me wear them. She said good girls won't wear them," she said sadly. Madhu burst out laughing, gaining others attention. She stopped laughing and apologized embarrassed.

"In this century... Do you believe that Kushi?" Madhu asked still stifling her laugh.

"What? No.. I am not a kid anymore," Kushi said lightly offended.

"Then?"

"I feel self-conscious," Kushi admitted.

Madhu sighed. "Kushi you need to change. You are beautiful. Don't hide yourself. Feel free and be yourself. You shouldn't care what others feel," she said firmly. Kushi nodded her head smiling a bit.

"Do you feel I am like them?" Madhu asked to tease her pointing at their senior girls who were busy surfing in their mobiles. Kushi looked at them and scoffed. They wore minis and tops that barely covered anything.

"Madhu," Kushi looked at her horrified. Madhu laughed and she too joined.

"Is it a code for them to dress like that? I don't understand," Madhu shook her head.

Kushi laughed. "What can we do?"

"Right," Madhu agreed. "Now tell me what is it with that guy?" Madhu paused as she forgot his name, "Rishu friend," she said when she didn't get name.