Chapter 1: Mumbai

Chapter 1: Mumbai

A cool breeze hit her face making the curls that escaped from her ponytail flow freely in the air. She shivered pulling the jacket she was wearing closely and rubbing her palms. Poking her head out from the train she looked around her surroundings. Both excitement and nervousness reflected on her face. She took a deep breath of fresh morning air and stepped onto the platform.

Madhubala Sinha was an eighteen-year-old, sweet, confident girl with lots of dreams from Pune. She's moving to Mumbai with her parents and going to start her new college. She's a princess to her parents Sanjay Sinha and Padmini Sinha, who was always proud of her.

Hearing her name, Madhu turned back to find her mom and dad getting out of the train while struggling to carry their luggage. She reached to take a bag from her mom. But her dad as always has protested carrying by himself. As usual, she too ignored his protests and walked away carrying the bag. She knew pretty clearly that he won't listen. She grinned when she saw him shake his head.

Sanjay too knows about her well enough. Like his wife always taunts him, Genes! She got your stubbornness only. After her dad completed a few formalities and made a few phone calls, they exited the railway station. She stole a glance around her surroundings.

It was the end of January and the temperature around was cool. It was still earlier in the morning and she could see slight fog in the background. She would've to hug herself to stay warm even though she wore a jacket.

She saw many stalls on the platform selling books, flowers, bouquets, and food. She glanced around and many people were moving here and there trying to catch an auto or taxi. Even some people were sleeping on the platform. She wondered how they have been able to bear this cool weather. Some drivers were shouting at the top of their lungs to gain customers' attention while some of them were throwing themselves or fighting with each other.

A few of them tried to reach them but Sanjay ignored them not even giving a glance and moved to a taxi while she and her mom, Padmini, trailed behind him.

"Bhai! Do you know Sahara Community?" Sanjay asked politely the driver, who looked to be in his early fifties.

"Yes, Sir. Come on please get in," He replied.

Madhu and Padmini hopped onto the backseat of the car while Sanjay helped the driver to place their luggage inside. Soon he too joined them in the passenger seat and they were on the way to their destination.

Madhu sighed as she hit her head on the soft leather seat. "Are you new to Mumbai Sir?" She heard the driver ask her dad.

"No Bhai, actually it's been a long time we have been here," Sanjay responded.

MUMBAI!

The place where her mom and dad were born and grew up. The place where their love bloomed for the very first time.

She's feeling both excited and nervous. Because it's the first time she's been to Mumbai. Suddenly a change of environment, starting a new college, and making new friends made her nervous. She's excited equally as it was the place where her parents started their journey. She always wondered why her parents didn't allow her to go to Mumbai. When she was a small kid, her school planned an excursion to different places. Among them, Mumbai was one. But her parents denied her to go to Mumbai. As far as she could remember they granted her every wish. They allowed her and took her wherever she wished to go. But when it comes to Mumbai, they always get worried. She was fifteen years old when she asked them why they won't allow her to Mumbai and finding them uncomfortable talking about the topic, she dropped it off.