Chapter 3: The College

Sanjay stopped his bike inside the college gate at a distance from the college building. He gazed up at the college building and the surroundings. The memories of his youth days flashed in front of his eyes. Nothing changed, he thought with a grin.

He waited for Madhu to get down. But she didn't. Frowning, he looked over his shoulder at her and saw her eyes closed clutching her college bag. "Do you want me to come inside, princess?" he asked, seeing her nervousness.

His voice snapped her out of her reverie. She shook her head vigorously, opening her eyes.

Sanjay laughed.

Madhu took a deep breath and looked around. At a distance, she could see the red-brick building of the college. She has to do anything alone from now on. Not always, she could take help from her parents. Even though they were willing to do anything for her, she couldn't trouble them. It's her time to stand on her own.

Hanging her sling college bag across her shoulder, she hopped off the bike. She looked at her father and smiled assuring him that she was fine.

Sanjay stared at his daughter. "Never let your fears stop you from anything princess," he said softly and kissed her forehead. She hugged him tightly and nodded. Then she watched him leave.

Again, taking a deep breath she turned around. Finally, her college life began, she thought with a smile.

Fiddling with the bag strap across her shoulder, she walked down the paved path to the college building. As she walked, she admired the greenery around the college. On either side of the paved path to the entrance, it was lined with a row of tall trees, giving shade under them. There were chatters and laughter around from the students at every corner. She observed a few of them looking nervous like her and realized they would be newbies like her. She neared the college entrance and her anxiety increased.

She looked at her watch and saw its quarter to nine. Only fifteen minutes were left for the orientation class to get started. She couldn't miss it or else she would definitely be unaware of everything that happens around in college. She considered it would overcome her anxiety when she heard the principal and others' speeches. She left the idea to see the college for later.

Searching for the auditorium, she finally reached and settled herself in one of the seats in front. She remembered the girl from yesterday saying that she was also in the same college. Kushi.

Madhu moved forward in her seat and turned around. Students behind her seat looked at her. She smiled at them, which they returned back. She searched for Kushi but didn't find her anywhere.

She sat straight when she heard the mike being set. By then, almost half of the auditorium was filled with first-year students. First, two rows in front were occupied by the lecturers, higher officials of the college, and a few seniors. The seats next to her were not yet occupied. She sat back in her chair and looked at the stage.

A young man took hold of the mike and smiled at everyone. He was thin with 5'7 height. "Good morning everyone, respected principal, and professors. I am Raj, a class representative in my second year. A grand welcome to the freshers. I request our principal, Mr. Ranganathan to please come on to the stage and give his speech," he welcomed.

Everyone in the auditorium clapped as a man in his late fifties stepped onto the stage. He's wearing a black suit with a white shirt. He has this look on his face screaming 'silence everyone.' He doesn't have a need to shout specifically, she thought and chuckled silently.

Ranganathan cleared his throat and started his speech. He began to welcome the freshers and then talked about the greatness of the college, the merits, and achievements of the previous batch of students, what he expected from the students, and also mentioned the professors who dedicated their work to the college. He particularly mentioned he won't tolerate anyone getting bad fame for the college.