Chapter Seventeen

- Bliss Filled Nights -

__~~__

I laugh as Paul picks me up, throwing me over his shoulder as we head to his house for the night. Apparently his father went on a hunting trip with his uncle and we have the house to ourselves.

I hit his back lightly, earning a laugh from him.

"Let me down," I laugh, trying to see where we were going.

I see a fairly large log cabin like house nearing us. The porch light was on and Paul's black truck was parked in front of the house beside a bike. Paul slowly let's me down as we near the stairs, letting me fix my dress before he grabs my hand and leads me inside.

Inside there was a table lamp on beside the brown couch. Paul flicks on the lights, illuminating the interior of the house. There were framed photos along the top of the fireplace and along the walls. I look at them while Paul walks off somewhere.

In one of the photos it was a young Paul with who looked like Jared playing in the backyard; both covered in mud as the smiles big toothy grins. Another was of a woman, her belly swollen, smiling sheepishly at whomever was taking the photo.

"That's my mom," Paul spoke behind me, hugging me close to his chest. "She would've loved you."

"What happened to her?" I look at the picture, noticing the small wince behind the smile.

"She passed when I was three," Paul tells me. "Car crash."

"I'm sorry," I turn around in his arms, looping my arms around his neck.

"Don't be," he smiles down at me. "She watches over my family everyday. I just hope she's happy with how we turned out without her."

"I can ask," I look back at the picture. "If you want?"

"You can do that?" I look up at him.

"I can try," I smile.

We both get comfortable on the couch as I hold onto a necklace that was once Nelly's. I closed my eyes, pushing myself into the Vail. I open my eyes once I'm inside, seeing a woman smiling over at me from the doorway.

"Hi Maeve," she smiles, walking closer before sitting down in the chair closest to Paul.

"Hi Nelly," I smile, gripping into the necklace.

"You can see her?" I heard the echo of Paul from the mortal world.

"Yeah," I tell him, smiling as I see her cross her legs and lean back in her chair. "She's beautiful, Paul."

"I could say the same for you," Nelly replied, smiling. "I know you won't be able to stay here long, so I'll be quick."

"Take your time," I tell her, leaning into Paul.