Enchanting Grom Fright

"Hoot hoot, Luz! Time to fill up that darling little head of yours with..." Hooty said, pausing to regurgitate a stack of books onto the ground. "Mm-hmm. Delicious knowledge!" Willow, Gus and I peered in from the doorway.

"Please hurry!" Gus pleaded.

"He's a new kind of creepy that I never want to become." I said.

"The more I look at him, the more uncomfortable I get." Willow admitted.

"HOOT HOOT!" Hooty yelled.

"Hehe." Luz said as she made weak guns with her fingers as us and kissed King's head. "Don't spend all day watching MewTube, 'kay?"

"I FORGE MY OWN PATH!" King yelled.

The halls of Hexside were decked out with balloons made of abomination goop and other decorations as we entered.

"Something's different today. Did everyone get a haircut?" Luz asked.

"Oh yeah! I forgot you've never been here for the social event of the season." Willow said.

"Which means I skip it every year." I muttered.

"Welcome to your first-" Gus was cut off by two masked health workers suddenly entering, rolling a stretcher and making siren noises.

"Outta the way!" One worker yelled. The workers surrounded a beast-keeping student with dark skin, blonde hair that covers his eyes, and big, pointy ears similar to a bat.

"Come with us immediately! Your disease- it's advancing!" The other worker exclaimed. They helped him onto the stretcher.

"Is there a cure, doc?" The student asked.

"Only one... finding the perfect date to Grom!" A worker gushed.

"If that's the cure... then, Skara, will you go to Grom with me?" He asked as he held out a beating heart, with 'GROM?' written on it in red ink.

"Ahhhhh! Of course I will, or whatever!" Skara squealed. She hugged him, and onlooking students and teachers cheered.

"You guys have a version of prom on the Boiling Isles?" Luz gasped. "I was kicked out of my last school dance for dressing like an otter, but here, I can be your Grom queen!"

"That's, uh, not something people usually sign up for." Willow admitted. Amity bumped into Luz, dropping her belongings.

"Watch it, nitwit! Oh. Hi, Luz... and co. Sorry about that." Amity apologized.

"No problem, let me help you!" Luz exclaimed as she helped Amity pick up her books and handed her a little pink note that she dropped. "Here, your note."
Amity snatched it away. "Man, you got some quick grabbers."

"It's just, it's... private." Amity stuttered as the speaker screeched.

"I'm so nervous." I heard someone say.

"Shh! This is it!" Another student exclaimed.

"Attention Hexside students. This is your principal speaking." Principal Bump's voice came over the intercom.

"Oh, man, this is it!" Gus exclaimed.

"He's announcing who'll be this year's Grom royalty." Willow explained.

"I know no one in a million years, not even the titan himself would vote for me, but please don't be me." I begged quietly as I crossed my fingers and squeezed my eyes shut.

"This year, I have the privilege to bestow our highest Grom honor to... Amity Blight!" Principal Bump as my friends and I gasped. We turned to Amity, who is still shocked. "Our Grom queen!"