Chapter Twenty-Nine

Start from the beginning

Isaac wrapped his arm around me and pressed me to him, his mouth engulfed mine in a time-stopping kiss. He held me so tightly as if I was going to disappear. My stomach warmed and my heart fluttered. I felt tears fall on my cheeks but they weren't mine. Oh, Isaac...

He broke the kiss, resting his forehead against mine. I watched as more tears escaped his closed eyes. It broke my heart to see him so upset. "I hate that you're hurt, I hate what my mother put you through, what she did. I hate that I wasn't... that I wasn't able to protect you." His voice trembled as his body wracked with sobs.

We clung to each other, I ran my fingers through his soft hair, trying to give whatever comfort I could. We stayed like that for a while until he let out all the pain I didn't know he had been carrying. He had always been so strong and to see him break down made my heart ache.

His sobs subsided and he inhaled deeply. "I'm sorry."

I grabbed a cloth from the table and dried his face. "You have nothing to apologize for. I didn't know you were carrying so much."

His glistening green eyes met mine "I love you so much, Lizbeth,"

"I love you too, I promise I'm going to be okay. Why don't we finish getting ready and join the others? They're probably wondering where we are."

***

We returned to the room we met in last night. A long table sat beside a lit fireplace filled with various fruits, vegetables, and meats. The elegant cream tablecloth laid underneath fine cutlery. It all looked so formal. I felt underdressed. Isabella and Thremael were already sitting chatting about god knows what. When Isabella turned and saw me, her smile widened.

"Look who decided to grace us with their presence." There was a knowing glint in her eyes, she definitely knew what we did last night. I hope to god this isn't a twin thing...

Isaac's smile had returned but I could still see the pain behind his eyes and the small tremble in his hands. I wish there was a way I could help him. I should have asked how he was doing through all this sooner. He's been so strong for me and I need to return the favor.

I pulled him close and squeezed his hand, guiding him to the table and pulling out his seat. He looked at me confused for a moment but sat without question.

"So," Isabella started, drawing out the word "how'd you guys sleep?" She asked, there was amusement in her voice.

I felt my face grow hot as I assumed it had turned the color of a tomato. I shouldn't be so embarrassed, what we did was only natural.

"Great... we slept great." I squeaked out.

Then the Keeper entered, saving me from further embarrassment. But, the look on Isabella's face told me we were not done with this conversation. Ezekiel followed close behind but I barely noticed him, I was stunned by the Keeper's gowns. She wore a lone white robe with silver trimmings and royal blue wrappings. The fabrics seemed to shimmer as she walked with grace towards the table. Her smile lit up the room, even Isaac seemed to relax a bit.

"Good morning! I hope your rooms were to your liking. Please dig in before it gets cold. You didn't need to wait for me." She took the seat Ezekiel had pulled out for her.

Isabella and Zeke stole glances at each other while we ate and conversed over small things. It made me smile. Even though the world was in danger, Isaac and I weren't the only ones finding moments to enjoy ourselves. Though Isaac had been pretty quiet since our conversation earlier. He still wore a smile, but his eyes were a bit dull and he seemed trapped within his own head.

"Hey... are you okay?" I whispered, taking his hand in mine. The motion startled him, he closed his eyes and took a couple of deep breaths. When he opened them, I felt his body relax and the golden shimmer in his eyes returned. He leaned in, gave me a slow deep kiss, and then smiled.