Looming Separation

It was always a welcome thing to be called on by Yujin Mikotoba at the office, but now more than ever, Barok was grateful for the man's presence. Not only was he a reliable medical examiner, but also a great friend, a hero to the family, and now a man who was learning how to properly be a father. And for all of those reasons, Barok was grateful that Yujin was able to linger for a while after discussing the medical reports he had brought Barok that day. Their parting lurked only a few months away, and Barok felt a bitter wave fill his throat at this thought. He squinted against it as Yujin laughed.

"Well, it will be nice to see Seishiro again. And our old sakura tree," Yujin said.

"...The one in the courtyard," Barok said quietly.

"Susato mentioned it?"

"Yes. I have heard a great deal about hanami from Miss Mikotoba."

"Sakura are important to the family line. It really is a great shame on my part that I never experienced them in bloom with my own daughter. But that will change soon."

"Yes," Barok said quietly, his throat growing tight and dry.

"Enough about me," Yujin said and fixed Barok with a smile. "How are you getting on, Lord van Zieks? Will you be hosting any balls again soon?"

"I have quit my search for a wife."

Yujin's eyes widened. "Nothing to do with that fake scandal from before, I trust?"

Barok crossed his arms and let out a sigh. "No. That has no bearing on my decision. I merely wish to delay my search until the new year."

"Is that so? My apologies, I'm sure you have your personal reasons. I have to admit, it is a bit of a shock. You seemed very determined."

"...The desire has not left me. It is simply not the right time."

"Well, that's a shame. Would have been nice to see a wedding before we have to go back to Japan. Susato's never seen a British wedding, after all," Yujin said.

How acutely painful. For him to mention the very woman Barok wished he could wed. If only they were to remain in London, Barok would be asking for Yujin's blessing to propose to Susato right at this very moment.

"Of course, I was hoping to see you happily with a wife before I left. Either way, I suppose I would not be able to stay long enough to help deliver your child," Yujin said, his voice overgrown by a hush.

"...You would have wished to deliver my child?"

"With your permission, I would have been glad to assist with the birth. I do appreciate your family a great deal."

The pain lodged in Barok's throat turned severe. He looked at the portrait of his parents on the wall and tightened his eyes against unwanted emotions.

"Wouldn't have been possible either way, though. I hope you will write whenever you do secure a marriage," Yujin said.

"...Of course," Barok said, his voice hardly even a voice. "It may be some time before I resume my search."

"Have I arrived at an inopportune time?"

Barok startled at the sound of Stronghart's voice. My fault for leaving my door wide open. It was a warm day, despite that summer was drawing to its conclusion. Barok had left a window partially inched up and the door open to draw out some of the uncomfortable moisture in the air while he worked. However, it had been foolish to remain in such a state when conversations had become so personal.