Casting Aspersions

That Saturday, Barok was set upon quite startlingly by Lady Baskerville and Klint.

Barok's mind was filled with eager contemplation regarding the day to come. He could not stop thinking about Susato, nor how her presence would soon send radiance pouring into the drawing room. He was pried away from those pleasing thoughts by a stern glare. Lady Baskerville's, to be precise. She and Klint rounded on him as he glanced away from the new books he was finding places for in the library.

"...Do you not agree with my organisational system?" Barok said.

"I spoke to Lady Helen today," Lady Baskerville said.

Barok stared at her. Waited for her to continue.

"Why did you not tell us that you saw her whilst we were away?" Lady Baskerville said.

Barok pushed a book onto the shelf. "I saw no reason to. It was a chance encounter."

"And you intimated to her you had no desire to marry her! Why did you not tell me that before when I asked you about her?" Lady Baskerville demanded.

"Is it because she is related to Lord John Penhale?" Klint said. "I know I have complained about such a thing repeatedly..."

"Whinged and fussed," Lady Baskerville corrected.

"However, it was partially in jest. Partially. I have to admit, I was beginning to believe you two were quite the fitting match. Loath as I am to admit it," Klint said.

"See! You are not letting that silly fake scandal damage your confidence, are you? The papers did run an article admitting it was false!" Lady Baskerville said.

"To which many are saying I used my status to bury the truth," Barok said.

"Well, regardless of that nonsense, we all know the truth! And Lady Helen does too! She would have been very pleased to marry you. The poor woman was so heartbroken!" Lady Baskerville said.

"It had nothing to do with the article," Barok said.

"Then what possible reason could there be? You said you could find no fault with her," Lady Baskerville said.

"Did you now? Well, then. Is she too perfect for you or not perfect enough?" Klint said.

"Yes. Maybe you are just too fussy to fall in love!" Lady Baskerville said.

"I am beginning to wonder that as well," Klint said. "You have met with many women from families that are decidedly not corrupt."

"I do not feel any movement in my heart towards them," Barok said.

"Why not? What exacting standards are they not reaching?" Lady Baskerville said.

They are not Susato Mikotoba, Barok thought, but he said nothing. He merely set another book into its proper place on the shelf.

"Well, dear brother, if you are going to be so dreadfully taciturn, then I have no choice but to take the matter into my own hands," Klint declared.

"You...would force an arrangement?" Barok said.

"What? Goodness, no! However, I will make arrangements for the Lyttletons and some other decent families to come over with their daughters. You must call upon these women. Unless...you have changed your mind about having a family?" Klint said.