In Good Company

Barok waited for their carriage to arrive. It was a hot day, despite how the sky was completely buttoned over with clouds, and the scent of flowers was strong and sweet from the morning rain. It was a nice day, all things considered. And it was about to become much better.

The carriage drew to a stop. Barok began to walk towards it, intending to open the door. But before he could, it flew open and Iris leapt out. She sprinted towards him. Barok knelt down and opened his arms and caught her up in a fierce hug.

"We're home, Uncle Barry!"

He smiled and gave her a gentle squeeze before extricating himself. Iris hummed and beamed up at him as Klint and Lady Baskerville walked over.

"Care to help with the luggage, brother?" Klint said.

Barok nodded and followed him back towards the carriage. He could hear Iris and Lady Baskerville talking while the two of them unloaded their travelling cases.

"How was Newcastle?" Barok said.

"Exciting, as always," Klint said, then lowered his voice to mutter: "Whenever a certain woman was not around."

Barok let out a small chuckle. It had been years since he had personally seen Lady Baskerville's cousin, but Klint never seemed to feel any more favourably towards her, regardless of how much time passed.

"We found lots of new books!" Lady Baskerville said.

"Oh yes! And oh, Uncle Barry! You need to go with us sometime! You have to see Mosley Street! It's lit by lightbulbs!" Iris said.

That sounds far too strange.

"Imagine if they put incandescent lightbulbs in the Victoria tunnel? It would help the coal miners so much and would be so much safer! Oh! Maybe a tunnel like that would be a great place to set a mystery!" Iris continued, beaming.

"Before you rush to your typewriter, let us unpack. And ask your Uncle how his fortnight was," Lady Baskerville said.

"Hmmm...Miserable, I bet! Since we were not here to keep him company," Iris said.

"You sound more like your father every day," Lady Baskerville sighed.

Iris giggled.

"I think Iris assessed the situation soundly," Klint said, giving Barok a grin.

Barok sighed. They carried everyone's bags into the house, then Barok called for tea and a plate of scones while everyone set about scrounging through their things.

Once the family was all gathered up together, Klint, Lady Baskerville, and Iris all raced to speak, their voices overlapping at times. They happily conveyed news about the health of the Baskerville family, the time they spent in one another's company and the activities they did together, the shops they visited, the sights they saw, what they ate, where they went. An endless parade of details. Barok drank it in quietly, offering comments only when prompted, a light smile on his face as he listened.

"I do love Newcastle, however...I miss the countryside. It has been so long since we went for a vacation out in the wilderness," Lady Baskerville said with a dreamy sigh.

"I would not quite call it wilderness, darling," Klint said.

"The moorlands don't count as the countryside. They're awful!" Iris said with a pout.