The Perfect Teatime

"I am so glad Lady Helen accepted the invitation to the ball! Not that it's any surprise. She is very fond of you, Barok," Lady Baskerville said and let out a little sigh. "Honestly, I do believe you could just ask her directly, instead of indulging other people with this ball. But I understand if your confidence is feeling quite shaken up after the Lady Eveline incident."

Barok stared flatly at the wall. Eveline had absolutely nothing to do with his decision. And he was in no frame of mind to propose to anyone when his heart was wholly taken in by someone who could not possibly ever accept him. He needed more time to rally to expectation and then lean into it.

"I agree. I would rather you continue to investigate into other options anyway. A Penhale is the last resort," Klint said.

Lady Baskerville rolled her eyes. "That is for Barok to decide, not you, fool."

"It'll be fun! All of our friends will be there too," Iris said.

"Yes! They can wear the outfits we made for them again," Lady Baskerville said.

"Oh yes!" Iris said and shot Barok a knowing smile.

Barok smiled back awkwardly. It would be a gift to see Susato in that gown once more. Even though such an enchanting sight would make it even harder for him to silence his feelings. Although he knew that was precisely what Iris was hoping for in the first place.

"Well, Mommy, Daddy, you know what day it is," Iris said.

"You are throwing us out of the drawing room, then?" Klint said.

"Mhm! Come on, Uncle Barry! We need to get everything set up. You two can stay here until we're all ready," Iris said.

"Oh, can we? Do you hear this cheek?" Lady Baskerville said.

"She is frightfully like you in so many ways," Klint said.

Lady Baskerville scoffed and gave Klint a little good-natured smack on the arm before pressing a kiss to his jaw. She whispered something into his ear and he burst out laughing.

Barok averted his eyes. The display of affection was a bit more personally affecting at the moment than he had expected. It tugged at his dismal feelings, which he was determined to set aside in order not to throw a damper on Iris's game.

Iris clasped her hands behind her back and rocked forward on the balls of her feet, giving Barok an expectant smile. He broke out of his momentary musings and followed her. They gathered up everything they needed for the game and began to set up the table and chairs in the drawing room. Then Iris hefted the big leather-bound notebook onto the table and raced for her favourite pen. Once everything was in place, she turned on her parents with her hands on her hips and a determined expression.

"Okay. We're ready now!" she declared.

Klint and Lady Baskerville quit paging through the sheet music they were looking at and moved away from the piano with dramatic sighs.

"Woe, to never be included in our precious little petal's game!" Klint said.

"It's your fault. You raised your brother to be far too interesting. More interesting than her own parents, it seems," Lady Baskerville said.

Iris giggled. "Mhm! I just have to go get the tea. Wait right here, Uncle Barry!" She raced from the room.

"Sorry to interrupt, but you have a visitor at the door, my lord," one of the servants said, entering the room with a bow.