A crackle in my ear snapped me out of a daze I didn't even realise I had fallen into. Did I pass out? Time seemed to be moving simultaneously fast and slow that I had no concept of how long I had been in this position. Again, a crackle sounded in my ear over my thumping heart, but I could just about make out the words of my race engineer.

T> 'Are you okay? Archer, do you copy? Are you okay?'

I'm okay, I initially thought, and went to push the radio button on my steering wheel. In that moment, a pain shot through my shoulder and a small cry of pain slipped from my lips. I suddenly felt everything. My right leg ached from my ankle all the way up to my knee, there was a sting in my lower back, my fingers were numb and painful, and my shoulder felt like it was on fire. I'm not okay.

T> 'Alyssa, can you let us know you're okay?'

The voice in my ear was desperate. Toto. I had never heard him sound as panicked as he did over the radio. Although he may lose his cool from time to time with a fist slam onto the table, he was never a man to worry.

I knew I needed to let them know I was still here. Pushing through the pain, I grabbed ahold of my steering wheel with my left hand and stretched my thumb to push the talk button.

A> 'I, uh, think the car has some damage.'

The sigh of relief I heard in my ear settled my uneasy stomach.

A> 'I need... I need to get out. Please get me out. I need to get out. I need-'

T> 'Just try and stay calm, Lys. The medical car is almost with you. '

A> 'I'm so sleepy... do I have time for a nap?'

T> 'You need to try and keep yourself awake, okay? Don't close your eyes, you need to stay awake. Don't make me yell over this radio, Archer, because I am not... ARCHER!'

My eyes snapped back open. What a funny little nap.

A> 'What time is it?'

T> 'That doesn't matter - stay awake.'

A> 'Why?'

T> 'Because I say so.'

A> 'Did you know I'm upside down? How did I end up like this?'

My mind was foggy. What just happened to me? Every thought I had seemed to be stopped by an impenetrable wall before it could be processed by my brain. All I know is that I'm so confused and my body hurts and it's raining and...

A> 'HOLY SHIT, I CRASHED.'

T> 'Lys-'

A> 'You guys need to get me out of here. Oh my God, I can't breathe. Why am I upside down? Where's the help? Where's Lando? I need Lando. Is Lando okay? I need help. I need help. Where's the help? I need help. Please, just help me.'

The sobs were escaping from my parted lips before I could stop them. With every shake of my shoulders brought me pain, which only seemed to make me want to cry more. I crashed. Everything that had happened played on a instantaneous loop in my mind, only fuelling the panicked state I found myself in. Despite everything that my body was telling me through the signals of pain, I hastily reached down (well, technically up) to undo the seatbelts that held me in the cockpit of my very damaged formula one car.