Solace

Almost three days had passed before he got the opportunity to see him again. Three long days in which Levi still racked his brains over what Erwin might have intended with his words.

He hadn't had a chance to speak to him after they had gotten out of that carriage and returned to their quarters with only a brief goodbye.

Appointments, appointments, one after the other. At least, that had been Levi's suggestion while he had stood outside his office more than once in vain. And now he was standing here and didn't know how to continue. Neither with their new mission nor with the thing between Erwin and him.

If there was anything at all. Maybe Levi had misinterpreted his intentions. Was that why Erwin had avoided him? There would certainly have been a minute or two that Erwin could have spared if he had really wanted to see him. But it was selfish to think that way. After all, Levi was not the only person in his life. Why should Erwin still bother with individual soldiers? He certainly had other things to worry about.

"Levi. You look so great. Let me take a closer look at you." He recognized the voice even before he saw Hange. In hurried steps, she approached him and placed both hands on his shoulders, turning him back in her direction after he had pointedly turned away from her at her sight.

Today was the day. Today would be the military ball Erwin had mentioned, and Levi, despite his absence, had not managed to avoid it. Now he was standing here in his new dress uniform. And thanks to Hange, sticking out like a sore thumb.

"You don't have to touch me all the time just to look at me, four-eyes," he growled when Hange wouldn't get off his back.

"I'm sure the ladies will fall at your feet in that uniform."

Levi made a snide sound, eyeing her up and down. "Why are you here, anyway? Don't you have your own room?" he asked, noticing that she was also standing in the room that had actually been assigned to the male soldiers.

Nothing that would usually bother him. After all, he was used to the constant presence of women because of Isabel. However, he could tell from Moblit's facial expression that he didn't seem entirely comfortable with that.

"No problem. You are like brothers to me," she replied, already pulling her shirt up.

"Hange - I mean - sir! Not here!" Moblit came rushing to her side, stopping her at the last second from exposing herself in front of everyone.

Someone laughed, and Levi could see that it was Kjell. He was standing near the double bunk beds and was calmly putting on the long dark green coat that the soldiers wore for official occasions.

Levi averted his gaze and looked down at himself. He had received his own uniform only last night, having taken the proper measurements the day after their trip to the city. Unlike the others, he had never had the opportunity to outfit himself accordingly until now. But thanks to the excellent seamstress, the uniform had been ready the next day and had not needed any touching up.

Nevertheless, the exact opposite would have suited him because he was still looking for an excuse not to go to this ball. Persistently talking himself out of it with his injury wasn't longer believable now, especially since Hange knew his condition, thanks to regular checks.

"Levi," he heard his name from the direction of the door and directed his gaze to Mike, leaning in the doorway. "Erwin wants to see you," was all he said, stepping back a bit to make room for him.

"What does he want?" asked Levi as he passed Mike, struggling to determine the answer over the ongoing discussion between Hange and Moblit.

"Don't know." Mike just shrugged before grabbing Levi by the arm and holding him back. "But he seems mighty irritable, " he spoke to him in a way that only Levi understood, "and seems like he hasn't slept a minute. So you'd better watch what you say. It's best to let him talk and listen to what he has to say without comment. I've never seen him in such a bad mood."