Judgement

"Wouldn't this be the perfect moment to put resources where they are needed most in the current situation? What has the Survey Corps gotten us so far, other than wasting our funds?"

That was the first thing Levi heard as he turned his attention to the ongoing discussion and looked over at the man in the opposite bleachers who had spoken the words. However, the man's exorbitantly dressed-up appearance made his words seem like sheer mockery, while his clothes and over-the-top jewelry seemed to cry out for having cost an unnecessary fortune. But even this expensive rag failed to conceal the ugly visage he called his own.

"On this point, I must thoroughly disagree with you," Erwin's voice now sounded right next to Levi, making him turn his attention to the side. "Right now, our regiment's combat experience and knowledge are irreplaceable."

The ugly guy slapped his hand on the wooden parapet in front of the tribune and leaned against it with his fat paunch. "Your so-called combat experience has done us precious little good in Shiganshina. Instead of fighting the Titans and defending the Wall with the Garrison, they showed the white feather and fled. That's how we lost the Wall and our land in the first place."

Erwin did not even bat an eyelash at this insult, while his counterpart almost fell over the railing in his fury. "Our priority was the safety of the population. There was no way to reseal the hole in the Wall in a timely manner. You should already know that from the numerous reports. Only more people would have died had we not focused on evacuation."

"Yes, and instead, we now have numerous mouths to feed. Many will now starve miserably instead of being eaten by Titans. That's what we got out of it."

Erwin's face became distorted at these words. "With respect, my lord, I forgot that you have always had the fate of the common people at heart."

The guy's head only took on an even redder color. "I resent such a smug comment from the squad leader of a regiment that regularly sets records in its death rate."

"You're not entirely innocent of that." Levi only now noticed that Keith was standing directly behind Erwin before he stepped forward and shouted through the hall. "And that goes for everyone standing here now. So far, we had not even received the most necessary means to maintain the supply posts on our scouting routes. On top of that, the best soldiers from the training units were assigned to protect the king and the nobility by promising them security. Therefore, explain how we should have improved our survival rate under these circumstances. We had to start from scratch every time. Every single damn expedition."

"Which only reinforces my point that this is a waste of vital survival resources."

A loud noise interrupted their argument as the man at the other end of the hall banged the hammer in his hand on the hard wooden table in front of him.

Levi hadn't even taken him in stride yet, but he suspected that the bearded fellow on the raised platform must be General Zachary. Moblit had mentioned him a time or two on the way over. Just as Levi now knew, thanks to him, that the two men, the slender dark-haired fellow and the bald man, also standing a row behind Erwin, must be the commanders of the other regiments.

The General sighed and adjusted his glasses with the round lenses in a bored gesture. "Lord Meinhardt. May I remind you that we are not here today to discuss the usefulness of the regiments?" he declared in a composed voice, addressing the government official directly.

Meinhardt? At the mention of his name, all alarm bells began to ring in Levi. Wasn't this the guy whose letter Erwin had wanted to show him the other day? Was he the one who had wanted to push through the idea of throwing innocent civilians to the Titans? And maybe the one who was responsible for the attack on Erwin?