Fear

He could already make out the small cluster of people from a distance, even before they rode through the small gate into the headquarters' courtyard. As quickly as they could, they brought the horses back to the stables to make their way to the courthouse, one street over, on foot.

Only a few minutes later, they were already pushing their way through the ever-growing crowd, and by now, Levi was beginning to wonder who all these people were. Many of them were soldiers and wore the emblem of the Scouts, the Garrison, and the Military Police, while others in far too fine civilian clothes seemed to be part of the escort of government officials.

Was it really necessary for so many to be present in person? Was it so important to them all to elect the new head of a regiment whose usefulness they had been denouncing for years? Was it Erwin's influence, or had the fall of the Wall Maria changed their views towards the Survey Corps into the positive?

Perhaps he was also entirely wrong in his assumption, and they only wanted to influence who from now on wasted their tax money and the increasingly scarce resources.

He quickly dispelled the question when they fought their way through the people and up some stairs to finally enter a large reception hall that, according to Moblit's information, the military police also frequently used for dance balls.

On the way here, Levi had already noticed the rich decorations on the walls and the elaborate drawings on the ceiling. Apparently, this venue was not only reserved for simple military balls but also served the nobility as an important meeting place for various celebrations.

It took them a while to spot their own people next to a large double-winged door, in front of which several benches were lined up. To Levi's surprise, on one of these sat Nanaba, who immediately stood up when she recognized them.

"Levi! Moblit!" she shouted in their direction as she came lumbering toward them with the help of a crutch.

Immediately Mike caught up to her and seized her arm to help her, while Levi quickened his pace to save her the strenuous walk.

"You followed?" he asked when he reached her, to which she gave him a smile.

"Yes. I wanted to be here at least that day. It's good to see you here. I haven't even had a chance to thank you in person."

Levi rubbed the back of his neck with his hand and exchanged a glance with Mike, who eyed him intently. "I was just helping Mike out. He's the one you have to be grateful to. And he already told me about your letter."

"How are you today?" asked Mike so suddenly that Levi stopped short and lowered his hand.

"Why do you ask?"

"Hange and Erwin said you weren't doing so well yesterday, so we should keep an eye on you."

"I'm fine," Levi replied, glancing over at the benches in a quick movement. "Hadn't Nanaba better sit back down?" he asked, raising his hand.

It was certainly evident that he wanted to distract from himself, but to his surprise, they nodded and turned away from him to return to the bench. However, not without looking back several times to make sure he was indeed following them.

Levi walked beside them and joined Moblit, who was already standing next to the benches with his back leaning against the wall. Only when he reached him did Levi notice that Mike and Nanaba had been stopped a few steps away from them by four more soldiers. He already knew Ness and Kjell, but the other two were largely unknown. He had rarely seen them before and had not remembered their names.

Instead of staring over at them, he let his gaze wander through the crowd for a moment and spotted other soldiers who had traveled here with Erwin's or Keith's troops. But one person he had also expected to be in this place and who was usually hard to miss was not present.