Chapter One: One Sunny Winter Day

It was winter in New Zealand. That didn't exactly mean cold weather and snowy roads all day. It usually meant scorching sunlight in the afternoon and freezing nights and mornings. The snowy regions were the mountains, with pure white snow atop that bounced off the sun, blinding anyone close enough with it's sheer whiteness. Other parts of the South Island were either covered in thin sheets of snow or no snow at all.

Emily's little town of Darfield was a good hour and a half drive from her workplace at the Highway Cafe. The girl woke up at around 5 am to eat breakfast. It was chilly in the morning as she began to make herself some eggs, bacon, toast, and sausage. She ate breakfast whilst scrolling through her phone, humming along to her radio. Emily didn't really watch TV while she ate. She mostly preferred reading while music was playing in the background. Emily grabbed some butter and buttered up her toasted bread, spread a bit of strawberry jelly on and then placed a bit of scrambled eggs on the toast. She ripped up some pieces of bacon and placed it in the unique combination of food. Folding the bread in half, Emily took a bite and hummed happily, munching away.

After breakfast, Emily began getting ready for work. She brushed her teeth and washed her face, spending most of her time in the bathroom as she put on some sunscreen and lip gloss. She never did put on much makeup for work since she knew she'll be outside once in awhile tending to the sheep. Emily gathered up her hair and put it in a ponytail, a few stubborn strands refusing to stay in the ponytail. As she put her hair up, her bloodmate marks showed on each of her wrists. Two small, dark pink bite marks were displayed on her slightly pale skin. One of her left wrist, one on her right. She also had two bites marks on each side of her neck, clearly displayed with her hair up. Emily had three other bite marks hidden along her body, some of which couldn't be displayed so openly.

Emily walked out of the bathroom and changed into a white button up shirt, leaving three open, along with some black jeggings.  She changed into a pair of slip resistant shoes and walked outside to her car. The morning sun was beating down at her, taking away some of the chill. She drove off, happy that the countryside never had much traffic and she can speed up a bit.

By the time she got the the cafe, it was almost 9. Emily visited the sheeps first, stocking up on their feed before going inside to open up the place. Her manager and one of the other coworkers were already there, sitting at a table as they glanced up at her. "Morning Emily. Can you come here for a second? I have something to tell you both." Her manager said, smiling excitedly. The small older woman was nearly buzzing in excitement. 

Emily smiled and sat down next to her coworker, Beverly. Beverly was a young vampire, 16 in vampire years but 160 in human years. Beverly was of African descent, with a more chocolate-like skin tone and afro hair that she kept on the shorter side. She had beautiful unblemished skin and her eyes were a nearly glowing bright blue. Beverly smiled at Emily, nodding her head as she focused back on their manager, Hazel.

Hazel was an older vampire, married to the farmer outside who owned the sheep. She was south Asian, with a darker skin tone than Emily and still held a slight accent. "Okay girls. I have some really really amazing news. So today...." Hazel trailed off, always one for the dramatics.

Emily shook her head with a playful sigh, tapping her finger against the table. "Come on~ Spit it out already!" Emily said playfully, although she was seriously getting impatient.

"We're having celebrities coming over!" Hazel squealed happily as she finally let it out. The old woman was clapping her hands excitedly, a smile on her face.

Emily blinked at her manager for a few moments, trying to process the words. "Hmm... Depends on which celebrities they are." She said, tilting her head. She noted how both vampires looked at her neck, feeling a blush come into her skin.