Chapter I

Corinne

"Detective Braxton" called a deep voice. "The chief needs a word." The sergeant said motioning with a nod towards the hallway that leads to the chiefs office, before leaving.

I scowled, I didn't hear him knock on my door nor do I remember saying that he should come in, I glared at his disappearing figure.

I shook my head, I have been so out of my element ever since it happened.

I put my pen down, realizing that I did nothing ever since I arrived at eight am,.

I stood up running my hands down my pants, shaking my head while taking a deep breath to pull my thoughts together.

After a few seconds I finally got myself together, taking confident steps out of my office, chin up, shoulders back.

"You sound like an amateur model."
She scoffed

I just ignored the voice in my head,still not used to it, the only evidence is my hands curled into fists and my racing heart.

I took one last breath, trying to slow down my racing heart and blocking out the chatter in the main office. Knocking on the door once, entering after hearing a quite "who is it?"that's 'come in' for you in chief's vocabulary, although am sure he knows it's me.

I entered his office, in no mood to look around it , welcome by an overwhelming smell of fresh donuts, so sure it's from his wife.

"Sit" he said leaning back on his ridiculous large black sit.

"We have a new case," he stated very seriously "I know you have already had of this, it's Mr Magnus murder."
He dropped a file in front of me.
I took it , my left brow raising a bit.

I've heard of the murder of the great Mr Magnus. Well no one can miss it, it all over the tumbloids, the tv , the internet, it's quiet annoying really.    I mean let the dead rest.

One thing that caught me , it that they are giving me this case. I'm one of the best in the state.

I opened the file, seeing a picture of him, a thin piece of documents showing the basics of the murder victim.

"This is a very serious and confidential case. We are going to do it together , am going to entrust you with this case because you are the best in this precinct, , the reporters will have their nose in this, so you will do it as discreetly as possible." He gruffed out. His stonic face , if even possible, more stonic as usual.

I respect this man more than I could think possible, and adding to the fact that he took me under his wing even after being rejected in most of the police stations in the city, due to mih being a woman and older.

Roman Johnson.. chief of police of the northern California police station.
He's around fifty years but looks not a day over thirty five..

I don't know his age coz I don't go around asking people's age's

His married, he is the only person who became a detective at twenty four solving over thirty cases and by twenty eight he was one of the youngest to become chief of police.
.

That's why his my mentor.

Chief Roman treated me like am any other man in this place, never made me feel less than a detective .

"Okay" I said .

He took his pen and started writing on the sheet of paper on his deck.
That the end of the meeting on Chiefs book.