Chapter Twenty-Nine Beginnings

The morning sunlight danced across the cracked pavement in front of the  apartment complex,   small window boxes of cheerful flowers dotting windows, well kept patches of fenced lawns boasting vegetable and flower gardens, children's toys scattered here and there.   Centered in the bustling suburban city of Hopewell it was home to a variety of residents, some families and many singles.  

In a brilliant, pleasant yellow unit with yellow lace curtains at the window she strode from her two bedroom to scan the lot with pensive violet eyes.   Sariah had known very little peace these past 10 months, living on the run in constant fear He would find her again.     From city to city, state to state she had fled, being extraordinarily careful to shield every thought, every feeling.   

She knew He was looking for her, she felt it, felt it as time and time again he reached out to her, first in confusion, then in rage.   Although, over time the connection had weakened, it was still there, and Sariah knew the master Vampire would not cease searching for her.   And she knew now especially why he would not stop his efforts to locate her. 

From behind her in the small apartment came the insistent crying of a baby.    Turning back into the apartment, Sariah hurried across the room to the small bedroom from which the sounds came.   In a cheerful room painted in blush pinks and purples, nestled in a beautiful whitewashed crib kicked and fussed her daughter.    Created with Gareth those nights they shared just under a year ago, Gabriella was the absolute light of her mother's life.    

As soon as Sariah looked over the crib rail the little girl, just over a month old, settled, purple eyes twinkling back so like her own.  Smiling she scooped the small bundle up and held her close to her heart.   Softly she said "There there my sweetheart, Momma is here and you will always be safe, I promise you". Gabrielle cooed and nuzzled into her mother, tiny heart shaped mouth finding sustenance and comfort all in one.   

Sariah moved to a worn rocker and sat, slowly rocking while her daughter fed.   At first, realizing she was pregnant with the vampiric offspring had terrified and disgusted Sariah, and she had come close to ending her and her baby's life.   It had been a horrific discovery when she'd tried the cheap grocery store pregnancy test and seen the cheerful smiley face for the first time.   For nine months she had been tortured and worried.   What would the baby be?   A monster, another vampire?    Ultimately, however once she'd felt her baby's kick she was done in.  No matter what the cost to Sariah she vowed to protect her child from every evil in the world, including that of her sire.  

Sariah remembered those months of research, careful to cover her tracks to avoid detection by Gareth.  She'd found no record of human and vampire offspring, at least, no documented ones.  When she went into labor in early spring and gone to hospital she'd been so frightened, not of the pain of child bearing, but what would be issued forth.   When the doctor handed her a squirming, squalling, normal baby girl she had cried from pure relief and joy.   She'd put Slade down as the baby's father on the birth certificate and Gabrielle bore Slade's name as her middle name.  It had been a  tribute to the friend she'd lost, to the woman she had been before Gareth.

Looking down at the infant in her arms, Sariah smiled.  Gabriella was already as happy and easy a baby as one could ever wish for, and showed no signs of the truth of her parentage.   At such a young age it was hard to determine what gifts she may have inherited from her bloodline, but she was a living, breathing, warm baby, seemingly normal in every way.  

Smiling, the sunshine pouring in the happy room, Sariah rested her head against the rocker, held her baby snugly and closed her eyes, peace filling her mind as mother and daughter enjoyed each other's company....

Far away, pacing like a panther in the jungle Gareth stalked the length of  basement he shared as a resting place with Brianna....He knew the baby was alive, knew it from the connection of the blood.   Fangs glimmering he smiled.....let Sariah have her little moment.....for Gareth knew he could find his daughter easily and at will, and bring forth the dawning of a new age on Earth.....the age of the rule of Vampire.......

Eyes blazing eagerly he turned to his slave and smiled viciously.......Brianna, rising from her sleep felt the eagerness, the desire to rule all from Him, and smiled a brilliant gleaming smile of her own..............