4 | Ares Sage

Week 1: Tuesday

Waking up at my alarm was never normal for me. In fact, since I went professional, I was waking up at 6 in the morning. However, for the past two years I've been waking up even earlier. Nightmares kicking my ass pretty much kept me from sleeping too long. So, most mornings I am up between 4 and 5 am. This morning was no different.

I've been thinking about last night all day. I wasn't expecting to have started a conversation that soon with Indie. Hell I didn't think I was going to give her my number either. Email is never my strong suit and like I told her, I only really check it for weekly updates from coach.

Speaking of coach, he's tearing into our asses. Apparently, we've been slacking during practice and with the first game of the on season on Sunday, we can't let it continue. "It's bad enough we have the media kicking Knight's ass. We don't need them talking about our shit players losing the first game of the season."

I roll my eyes at the mention of my media situation. I take off my shirt that's sticking to my body from the sweat. "I'm adding an extra work out for the rest of the week. You all are meant to be here from 6 to 9 until Sunday. Understand?"

"Yes Coach." We all say but let me tell you, none of us are ecstatic about the schedule change. Especially since I'm not even playing this season. That's the worse thing about this whole situation. I still go to practice, I still go to games, but I can't enjoy the thrill of the field on game day. It makes it feel like all this extra shit is pointless.

"See you'll on the field at 6. If one of you is late, you all run. Full pads boys." When the coaches leave the room, the chatter begins. I don't plan to stick around for small talk.

It's going on 3 now so I figured I'd invite Omar over for lunch. He's been texting me all day asking for an update on this retreat.

Shit I don't even know if you'd call it a retreat. We didn't go to some remote place. I'd still call it an experiment, nonetheless. I pull out my phone and press Omar's name. I make it to the parking garage as my phone rings. I unlock the trunk to put my gear in and close it just as he picks up.

"About damn time! I've been waiting for you all day." I roll my eyes getting in my car and turning it on. My phone automatically connects to my car's Bluetooth.

"You're so high maintenance. You know I had practice."

"Who gives a shit about that! Tell me how last night went. Did you get an email from her?" It's hard not to laugh at his excitement.

"No, I had to email her."

"So, how was the conversation? What's her name? Do you know what she looks like? How old is she? Where does she live? Do you love her yet? Are you going to pro-"

"Slow the fuck down...no one is getting married. Anyway, I was calling to see if you wanted to come over for lunch?" I can hear him scoff and the familary sound of my alarm.

"I'm already here."

"You know what, I'm done." I press the button on my steering wheel that hangs up the call as he is laughing. I really don't know how the hell he keeps getting in.

~••~

"Stop procrastinating, how did it go?" I've only been home for about 30 minutes. I have barely started making lunch and he's saying I'm procrastinating.

"First, calm down. It's not all that serious. We didn't even talk for that long." I finish seasoning my hamburger meat before going out to the backyard to fire up the grill.

"Her name is Indie."

"Sounds like a nickname." I shrug my shoulders not really caring. I know firsthand about wanting to keep personal information about yourself private. I don't blame her or her family if that is just a nickname.