11 | Ares Sage

Week 2: Sunday

"So, tell me about your childhood some more? Before your parents if you don't mind." Indie asks are we continue with our first phone call.

At this point, I have settled in the bed with my phone propped on my chest, laying flat down. The lights are dim and my white noise is playing.

"I don't mind talking about my childhood, before or after my parents. I just don't think about it often." I tell her, scratching at my head.

"I had both my parents in the house, which I know is one thing I should be grateful for. Neither one of my parents was close with their families, so it was really just the four of us."

"I was literally attached to my moms hip, always with her wherever she went. My brother was the same with my dad, but since he was significantly order, their relationship was a lot different." I smile a little recalling my family.

"Do you remember what they look like?" Indie's soft voice asks through the phone. I immediately respond to her.

"Yeah, no question... it's hard to forget someone you won't allow yourself to forget. I could probably close my eyes and it be like they are right in front of me." Even though it's not a lot, this is probably the most I've talked about my parents in years.

"My mom, she was beautiful. She had 4C hair but it was big. She would often pick it out in an Afro with some big hoop earrings. My dad always said that and her brown eyes were what drew him too her." I hear an "aw" like sound on the other end of them phone which makes me chuckle.

"Now my dad, he was...big."

"What do you mean big??" Indie says laughing. Probably at my tone because that's the first word that comes to mind when I think of my dad.

"Listen, I'm 6'3 and probably about 300 pounds of muscle okay. I got it all from my dad. When I say big, I mean intimidating. Looks like he could be The Rocks brother or something."

"Im sorry, I'm still on the fact that you said you're 300 pounds of pure muscle. You thinking highly of yourself ain't you??" I know she's kidding as she laughs loudly.

"Yea yea kid, pipe down ms 5'2. Are you sure you aren't 10? I'm really not trynna catch a case."

"I'm 5'8!! So, hush. My height is cute!"

"I knew it, you trynna lock me up with that pedophile shit. Don't call your height cute, don't you know the FBI/CIA listening. They gonna lock me up."

She doesn't even respond, you can hear her laughing to the point where it seems like she's trying to catch her breath. I'm actually grateful for the fact that we've seem to have stopped the conversation on my parents. At some point, it was going to get overwhelming for me.

"I can't believe you just called yourself a pedophile!"

"I didn't, I said what you was saying was some pedophile shit I could get locked up for." I roll my eyes playfully.

"Same difference."

As we start to die down and Indie seems to have calmed down more. I ask a sudden question on my mind. "You don't curse a lot huh?"

"Nah! I don't really find cursing cute lol. Like every so often is fine but with every other word in a sentence. Nah, I couldn't get past that, it's just not attractive. Plus, I didn't grow up cursing, so, it's not apart of my everyday vocabulary."

"I got you. I don't curse a whole lot either, but I would say I do at least 5 times a day. Does that mean I'm still attractive?"

" I wouldn't know, I haven't seen you."