13 | Ares Sage

Week Three: Friday

"Ares, it's good to see you! Come on in." I shake my manager's hand as I walk into his office. This scene is all too familiar to me lately, and I've spent so much time here in the past few months it might as well be my second home.

"I'm sorry for the short notice meeting."

I couldn't care less about the timing, and he wouldn't have called if it wasn't necessary. I'm hoping that he called me in for an update on what's happening in the media. I expected it to last only a short time. These girls are messing with my life, not to mention my reputation.

"It's fine; I figured it was important."

"It is; I have some news on your scandal." A bitter chuckle escapes at his word choice. That definitely describes this ordeal. I prepare myself, sitting in one of the chairs in front of his desk. He doesn't seem too alarmed, so the news can't be too bad.

"You officially have a court date."

Maybe, I spoke too soon.

I don't even have the energy to be mad. My fingers massage my forehead before sliding down my face in frustration. My leg starts to bounce as I look my manager in his eyes.

"Why is this happening? I didn't drug them, I didn't..." I take a deep breath, "I didn't do anything but have a random night at the club."

"I know, son, but the state seems to think their evidence is enough for you to be tried."

With my knee bouncing more vigorously, I let out a long sigh. "So, what do we do now?"

"You need a lawyer, and I have a few lined up for you to take a look at." He hands me a folder before continuing.

"I also want you to consider going on this talk show. Your publicity manager thinks it'll help show you aren't going to be bullied into the background.

I roll my eyes. I really need to get a new publicity manager. Where was she right now? Why isn't she telling me any of this?

"What do you think about that?" I ask him, finally looking up from the folder.

"While I don't fully agree with going on the talk show, I agree with not going underground. You need to show people that you aren't going to hide."

I nod my head, standing up and patting his shoulder. "Well then, it looks like I'm going on TV."

***

"So, now you need a lawyer?"

"Yeah, there was only an investigation underway, but now, since I'm going to trial, I need to find a good lawyer."

Omar sighs into his hands. I know it sucks for him to see me like this too. As much as he may joke around with it, I know he wouldn't wish it on anyone. Especially me.

"I-I had Naamari this past weekend..." I say, trying to change the conversation to a more positive one. I can see him smile though his hands are still covering his eyes.

"Oh yeah? How is she? I haven't seen her in so long."

"She's great. Every time I'm with that kid, I declare that she reminds me more and more of Urijah." I chuckle under my breath, as does Omar.

"I wish he could see her."

The silence was loud after I last spoke, and neither of us wanted to break the silence. We are both just coming to terms with the different things that have happened in the past few weeks.

Omar's dad coming back, seeing my niece after a few months, everything with Indie and the "retreat."

"How come you didn't tell me that the retreat was only a month?" I ask, remembering the email from last week.