2 | Ares Knight

Week 1: Sunday

I'm a firm believer in everything happens for a reason. That's the only way I can get through the hell that life throws at me. If I didn't believe that the hardships that I've been through wasn't meant to build me in life, then I would probably be worse than I am.

That's why I haven't been freaking out about being suspended for the season. I knew it was coming. I was being stupid and careless. I was worried about me, and how I was feeling. I didn't worry about how I was affecting the team with my behavior.

I can't play, but I can still practice. They don't want me to end up being shit after this 'sabbatical' as the media calls it. They have been chewing me up and spitting me out since my suspension was announced.

"Sage!"

"Shit! What the hell?" Omar, my best friend, is standing in my kitchen with one of my beers in his hand. "How the hell do you keep getting in?"

He laughs putting his beer down, "Telling you would be no fun."

I roll my eyes not expecting anything less from him. "I'm making some breakfast for dinner, you want some?" He nods his head. I turn around and turn my pancake before it burns.

"Make some for Christina, she's supposed to be late tonight."

"Ah, that explains your unwanted presence." I pour some more batter on the pan. "I need to talk to Christina about these late nights, it's costing me my peace."

Of course, he finds that hilarious. His wife is working on getting more clients. As an interior designer she makes a living off how many people need their spaces redone. She doesn't do a lot of late nights, probably once a week but that's still one too many.

"How have you been enjoying your sabbatical?"

I scoff taking the bacon and sausage out of the oven. "It's shit! The season only just started and I'm already losing my mind."

"You know what you need to do?"

I groan, already knowing where this is going to go. Christina and Omar spend the majority of their time with me talking about how I need to settle down and how I'm not getting any younger.

Christina always makes sure to let me know that she hates how I use women for a good time or whatever.

I'm always quick to remind her that any women who spends a night with me knows what they are in for. I'm not obligated to anyone, nor do I plan to be.

"I wish you'd just listen to us and try it out. One woman at a time."

"I haven't had a threesome since college." I wave him off, holding in my chuckle.

"That's not what I meant and you know it." Oh I know, but that doesn't make it less funny. "Look, part of the reason why you are even on this suspension is because you can't choose your women. Somehow, you go for the crazy type that drag your name in the mud."

"Ah yes, do remind me of my poor choices."

Reason number one for the suspension as my wonderful, supportive best friend has said. I can't choose women for shit. Two years ago was when I started to act like an idiot. Granted, I did have a reason that I'm still not completely over, but that I have only just learned to adjusted too.

Unfortunately, even though I have somewhat gotten myself together, the past two years seem to be catching up with me.

"Christina and I did a thing, and I don't want you to be upset." Before Omar could continue, I hear my front door open and close.