Chapter 21

'Exactly what happened? Why were they targeted? Why out of the blue? And why is Ruto the only one affected? Of course it's good that Doyoung is fine.. but what could have been the reason that poor Ruto is lying there, unconscious?'

Jeongwoo had his thoughts jumbled together, wrecking his brain to figure out everything without a single clue. The last time Jeongwoo saw Haruto, he was lying on the hospital bed, several electrodes attached to his head. Jeongwoo had no idea whether his friend would be okay or not. For one thing, he was still alive, as his heart was still beating. But he didn't show any sign of moving, or waking up. Soon, Jeongwoo got sent out of the room, and he had no idea what was going on.

He waited outside, biting his nails in fear. His phone buzzed. Doyoung sent him a text, again. Jeongwoo didn't respond to that. Every minute and two, Doyoung was asking him about Haruto. It was understandable, because he was taken for interrogation against his will. He didn't want to leave without making sure his friend was fine, but he had to. However, Jeongwoo didn't reply to any of Doyoung's texts in the last hour because he didn't wanna disappointed the elder with a negative reply.

Jeongwoo spent few more restless minutes. No doctor arrived, the nurse didn't come out from the inside, he wasn't even allowed to knock. He was losing it; didn't know what to do, he just shook his leg in agitation, his lips were bruised from biting them too hard! He was waiting alone, worried to death!

Startling him, the door opened, the nurse came out scurrying. Jeongwoo sprang up to his feet, and rushed to the nurse.

"Excuse me, is-"

"Later!" The nurse ran to her front. Jeongwoo stood frozen, his heart beating fast. Tons of pessimistic scenarios appeared in his mind, he shook them off. Haruto wouldn't leave him like that!

He saw the nurse returning with a doctor, who himself was running. Jeongwoo made another attempt of hearing something about his friend's condition, but both the doctor and the nurse rushed inside the room, locked it over Jeongwoo's face who was fruitlessly asking about his friend. Jeongwoo felt frustrated. He kept walking to and fro, waiting for the door to open again.

It did. After some agonizing, long minutes of anxious waiting, he heard the door open. The doctor came out, with an unreadable expression on his face. Jeongwoo hurried, went to him in a flash.

"Sir, how is he?"

Was it the doctor himself, delaying his answer, or did the clock tick too loudly?

After filling the younger in about Haruto's current condition, the doctor smiled, "You can get in now, he's up."

The radiant smile Jeongwoo showed him, the genuine, innocent happiness he felt after worrying all while long reached the skilled doctor; he gave Jeongwoo a pat on the shoulder. The younger felt so relieved, so grateful that his eyes teared up.

Haruto was okay after all!

Wasting no more time, he walked inside the room, to see his dear friend. Haruto, who was looking outside the window, with the white sheet covering his body, looked at Jeongwoo in boredom. Since he expected another nurse, or maybe a doctor, it surprised him when he saw a teary eyed Jeongwoo, walking to him, fast.

"Ruto!" He took Haruto in a careful, warm hug. Haruto laughed just a little, out of pure gratitude. It was Jeongwoo after all, his true friend's other version.

But soon, as the hug was let go, Haruto's eyes looked for someone behind Jeongwoo. Failing to spot the pretty face of a bubbly teenaged boy, his eyes trembled. He looked at Jeongwoo in worry, "Where's Doyoung? Is he-"

"Doyoung's fine." Jeongwoo quickly answered. "He's at the police station now."

"Why?" Haruto asked, his voice was still raspy, and a bit stretchy from exhaustion.