Chapter 3

"And after that hyung got scolded because of me! I was laughing so hard, his face was hilarious!" Jeongwoo laughed reminiscing the memory of his elder brother getting busted because of something he had done. He was telling the tale to Haruto who was sitting across from him at the lunch table. But the elder seemed not to focus on the story.

"Ruto?" Jeongwoo asked, "Are you even listening?"

Haruto snapped out of whatever he was thinking. "Yeah, I am. So, Jihoonie hyung got caught and?"

Jeongwoo made a disappointed face, "You clearly weren't. Come on, tell me what's wrong!" Jeongwoo requested. He noticed how Haruto was being all strange, grumpy and absent minded from the very morning. He knew something had happened but Haruto didn't share anything.

"I'm fine, really." Haruto insisted. "Sorry, I was just... thinking."

"How long have I known you, Ruto?" Jeongwoo rolled his eyes, "I can tell when you have something on your mind." He sounded sincere, "Spill it, my friend. You'll feel better."

But Haruto, he just shook his head. He didn't wanna disclose what happened to him the previous night. Even though Doyoung was in the wrong, he was being manipulated, brainwashed. Haruto didn't wanna ruin Doyoung's image to Jeongwoo. So, he chose silence.

"Is it because of him?" Jeongwoo pointed at a table far away from them. Haruto had to look back, because he was sitting opposite from them. He saw, with disgust, Doyoung snuggling close to his girlfriend, carefully listening to whatever shit she was spilling to him.

Haruto sighed. With that Jeongwoo knew who the culprit was. "Honestly, why do you even like him?" Jeongwoo spoke angrily. "He clearly doesn't see it in you, that you care for him so much."

"Leave it, Woo." Haruto sounded weak. It pained his friend too. He shut up for good.

Haruto played with his food. He lost his appetite, his will and zeal to do anything. It was so tiring for him, to always think about Doyoung, wish for Doyoung to be happy, even though the process left him unhappy.

"Ruto, you're wasting your food." Jeongwoo softly said, giving a little tug at the elder's hand. Haruto stood up at that, with the tray full of unfinished food.

"Where are you going? Aren't you gonna finish it?"

Haruto shook his head. He left his seat and took a step or two, suddenly a strong force on his arm stopped him. Jeongwoo was so busy focusing on Haruto that he didn't see it either.  When he did, Haruto was already turned around by force.

The tray in Haruto's hand crushed at the other person's chest and the food fell on him, staining his white shirt. But Doyoung, who pulled Haruto like that, didn't even care. His gaze was burning.

"Doyoung?" Haruto asked in confusion.

"How dare you harass my girlfriend?" Doyoung shouted. His tone was so loud that Haruto flinched hard, Jeongwoo stood up, and every head in the hall turned towards him.

"Huh??" Haruto asked, "What?"

"You think playing dumb will save you every time, you freak?" Doyoung grabbed Haruto's collar. "Didn't I warn you already??" He gritted his teeth in anger.

"Whoa calm down! What happened? Why are you acting this way?" Jeongwoo mediated. But Doyoung just glared at him.

"Ask you friend first!" He became unnecessarily loud again, "Why does he keep bothering my girlfriend?"

Jeongwoo looked at Haruto in question. But seeing the look of shock on the elder's face, he instantly knew that Haruto was as in the dark as him.

So he held Doyoung's hand that was holding Haruto's collar, strong. "Listen, you're causing a scene. People are staring. Come here and talk things out, okay?" He proposed. Doyoung let go of Haruto's collar at that, but jerked his hand away from Jeongwoo's grip too. He took out his phone.

"Explain!" He shoved the phone at Haruto's face. The younger stepped back a little. Jeongwoo wasted no time to take a peek.

A picture was seen, of a boy hovering over a struggling girl in the girls' bathroom. From the way it was seen, the boy looked tall, slender, the same as Haruto. But Jeongwoo knew it wasn't. He could tell the head was photoshopped later, with precision, but he could see it cause he trusted Haruto.

"Yeah?" Jeongwoo spoke, "You think it's him?"

Doyoung frowned and kinda fumed in anger, "Can't you see it too?"

"No, because I think it's photoshopped."

Doyoung scoffed, "Of course, cause you're blinded by his good guy image." He looked at Haruto again. The elder was visibly devastated. But it didn't shake Doyoung to the core like before.

"It's so stressful Haruto! To try and trust you, but getting these in return." Doyoung sounded hurt, "You have so many other girls here, who are so eager to have you; still you're eyeing my girlfriend, the one your best friend loves."

"Are you fucking blind?" Jeongwoo was pissed off for real, "Haruto didn't do anything! Can't you see it here-" he was stopped by Haruto, who raised a hand in protest.

"Let it be, Jeongwoo yah." He had his head low. Around them were heard whispers. Haruto looked up at Doyoung with his strong will not to cry. Doyoung was really angry.

"Ruto you aren't gonna stay silent! He's misunderstanding everything!" Jeongwoo spoke. But Haruto stopped him. He was tired. So tired and hurt to see someone he valued so much disbelieving him like that.

"I'm Sorry." He almost mumbled. Doyoung looked away, with clenched jaws.

"You better be!" He growled, "Next time, this goes to the principal."

He turned around with a swish and thump, cracking something in Haruto, maybe his heart. Jeongwoo was saying something, probably trying to explain to Doyoung what was real and what wasn't. But Doyoung didn't wait to listen to them, and Haruto didn't let Jeongwoo chase him. If things were to let go, he better let go without trying hard. Holding onto the thorny rope would only hurt him more.

Haruto straightened his head, holding the tray. People were still staring at him, some believing him, some not. He didn't care. He saw with the corner of his eyes, Jeongwoo looking at him in pity.

"I'm going first." He tried to sound normal but his voice came out sad. Jeongwoo wanted to comfort him so much! But he respected Haruto's will to be alone. He watched Haruto walk away, at a slow pace. Even his back looked like he gave up something precious.

Jeongwoo didn't feel like eating anymore. He was pissed, worried. He wanted to punch a hole in Doyoung's head and knock some sense in him. But he was also curious, who framed Haruto like that? Why?

Thinking hurt his brain. There weren't many who disliked Haruto, even so, no one was likely to do something like that, something that would ruin his friendship with Doyoung.

There must be something he didn't know.

Jeongwoo gave up soon. He stood up with the tray, handed it over at place. He wanted to look for Haruto one last time, but once again, he prioritized the elder's will. So, he took a walk to the direction of his class.

Halfway through, a hand stopped him. No it didn't hold him by the arm, it had a can in it, in a hold in front of his eyes. Jeongwoo looked at the owner and his heart started beating faster.

"Hyung?"

"You seem down, I thought it will cheer you up." said the one Jeongwoo had been dreaming about.

-

I know, it's going rough. Trust my plan though 🥺