Chapter 1

Watanabe Haruto, a tall, slender, handsome guy walked out with his best friend, Kim Doyoung after their math class ended. In the new school year, every class Haruto took, he had either of his two closest friends with him except for in one. The language class. He chose German where both of his friends chose Russian. Haruto never liked the topic, he hated the class more for being alone.

"And now the German lessons again." Haruto kind of groaned. Doyoung, the shorter, cute and bubbly guy beside him chuckled. "Told you to take Russian with us."

"I promise I applied for Russian! Mrs. Lee changed it last minute."

"Well, she wanted you to attend her classes after all." Doyoung smirked, "She adores you."

"But she sounds so boring!" Haruto whined, "I barely hear what she says in the class."

"Just 40 minutes, hang on. It's gon-" Doyoung stopped midway, because his phone was ringing. Haruto couldn't see who called, he assumed from the way Doyoung was talking. It made his jaw tighten.

"Okay, I'm coming babe." Doyoung cut the call and looked at Haruto, "Ruto, I'm going to my girlfriend, kay? See ya!" He rushed to the right, supposedly at the direction of his girlfriend's class.

Haruto, left abandoned, walked straight to his next class with a grim look on his face.

He survived those 40 minutes listening to Mrs. Lee's almost inaudible lecture. He didn't know why, but most of the teachers there liked him. Even the students too. Many asked him out, but he politely declined everyone. He only had one person in his mind. And that was-

"Ruto yah!" Haruto heard a loud voice and felt a sudden drop of weight on his shoulder. He immediately recognised the person, another close friend of his, Park Jeongwoo.

"Yah! Stop appearing out of nowhere!" Haruto spoke. Jeongwoo didn't even care. Instead, he teased, "Why is the Watanabe lonely? Where is his prince charming?"

Haruto rolled his eyes. Right after the language class, he was looking for Doyoung. It was lunch break already, so he naturally wished that Doyoung would wanna sit and eat with him. But disappointing him, Doyoung was seen being all lovey dovey with his girlfriend at one corner table.

"So, he ditched you for that bitch?" Jeongwoo looked at the direction where Haruto was looking at. The elder sighed.

"Come on, he's blind enough not to see through her." Jeongwoo continued. "If it's not for his dumb ass brain, he would-"

"Woo!" Ruto strictly called. He didn't like to hear all those about his best friend.

"I'm telling the truth after all!" Jeongwoo shrugged. Haruto shook his head and went ahead to bring his tray full of food. Jeongwoo quickly followed him.

They took a table nearby. Far from where Doyoung was sitting. Even so, Haruto's gaze was always on them. Jeongwoo observed his friend for a while and then put his spoon down with a bang to get his attention.

"Ruto! You're acting like a heartbroken loser, you know?"

Haruto raised his brows, "What? No I'm not!"

"Yes, you are." Jeongwoo mocked. "How long have you been crushing on Doyoung? As far as I remember, you were into him from the very first day you two talked and that was on... The first year here."

Haruto ignored Jeongwoo and went back eating. But the younger was persistent.

"I don't even see the point why you didn't stop him when he was slowly falling for that whore out there-"

"Jeongwoo stop saying shits about people." Haruto calmly said.

"But you know it too, Ruto!"

"She's Doyoung's girlfriend now." Haruto spoke again, "He won't like if he hears it."

"Alright, fine! Falling for that 'angel'! Happy now?" Jeongwoo said in disbelief, "Why didn't you try to win him back at that time?"

"He ain't into guys."

"You bet he ain't!" Jeongwoo said, "I'm sure he likes you too but just can't see it cause he's as dumb as you."

"Are you done?" Haruto spoke in annoyance, "Because I wanna eat in peace."

"Yah! At least I'm accompanying you here! Unlike an ungrateful guy who left you for some... Angel!"

Haruto didn't want to let the words hit him, but he couldn't help it. Everything Jeongwoo said were true. He fell in love with Doyoung a long time ago. He was naive, coward and easily satisfied. He was just happy being Doyoung's closest friend. He didn't try hard enough. He didn't know when he started slipping off of Doyoung's life. He still remembered how one day, Doyoung came to him and showed his chats with a girl names Hyeri. That was the beginning. Doyoung's entire world got filled with that name. She occupied his thoughts, his time, his interest. Haruto was a bystander, watching Doyoung smile because of her.

He could have tried, but he gave up. He knew Hyeri wasn't the best girl out there. He knew Doyoung could be severely hurt. But he didn't try and get his friend back, in fear of losing him completely. Instead, he let Doyoung grow feelings for that girl, gaining courage to ask her out and then one day, getting into a relationship with her. He was carrying out his duty of a best friend, the one to support his friend in any situation, even if it broke him down completely.

"Ruto," Jeongwoo called. Haruto was looking at Doyoung from his seat, staring to be exact. He forgot eating. It seemed like he had a lot going on in his head.

"Yeah?" Haruto got out of his thoughts.

"Eat. Your food's gonna get cold." Jeongwoo's voice was soft, filled with concern for his friend.

Haruto sighed. He lost appetite already. These days, the only emotions he could feel were regret and sorrow.

"You can still try, you know." Jeongwoo said, as he saw Haruto stand up with the tray in hand. Haruto shook his head a no.

"He looks happy with her."

Jeongwoo looked at Doyoung at that. And he caught the other glaring at him.

"Why is he looking at me like he's gonna murder me?"

Haruto looked at Doyoung too. And it was true. Doyoung looked pissed off.

"I don't know-" Haruto's phone buzzed with a notification. He put the tray down and took out his phone.

"What is it?" Jeongwoo peeked at the phone. It had a text from Doyoung.

"Haruto, we need to talk."