Reflect The Qur'an with The Intention of Sincerely Seeking Guidance.

﷽‏

كِتَٰبٌ أَنزَلْنَٰهُ إِلَيْكَ مُبَٰرَكٌۭ لِّيَدَّبَّرُوٓا۟ ءَايَٰتِهِۦ وَلِيَتَذَكَّرَ أُو۟لُوا۟ ٱلْأَلْبَٰبِ
--------------------
[This is] a blessed Book which We have revealed to you, [O Muhammad], that they might reflect upon its verses and that those of understanding would be reminded.

Quran (38:29)

Allāh praises this book saying that it is “mubārak”; it contains so much good. And then He tells us the reason He sent it — the letter “lām” is to show the wisdom behind it — the reason given is to reflect over its verses.

Tadabbur, from a linguistic perspective, it is derived from the term Dubur which is in reference to مؤخرة الشيء / the rear of something.

Hence the term Tadabbur means النظر في عواقب الأمور وما تؤول إليه — “To consider the outcomes of matters and their consequences.”

But this is not a philosophical reflection, rather it is in order to take heed and be affected by what has been revealed, such that you take action and change your life.

The one who acts upon Tadabbur is essentially, therefore, in reference to one who ponders over what is behind the verse with respect to knowledge and application.

Should one succeed in aligning his mind upon this whilst reciting the Qur’ān, then such a person is now upon the path of Tadabbur, and is actively applying the instruction in the above mentioned verse. There are no limits to Tadabbur, for Allāh may inspire you with a valid point of reflection that hadn’t been mentioned by anyone before you.

This does not happen for everyone though; it happens to “ulul-albāb” — those who have understanding. Allāh does not use simply the word “intellect” because He is talking about a particular kind of intellect, one that is pure and untainted.

The opposite is those who approach it with pre-conceived ideas and therefore either seek to back up those ideas, or critique Allāh’s words. Hence all they will receive is misguidance.

As Allāh says in Āli ʿImrān:

“It is He who has sent down to you, [O Muhammad], the Book; in it are verses [that are] precise — they are the foundation of the Book — and others unspecific.

As for those in whose hearts is deviation [from truth], they will follow that of it which is unspecific, seeking discord and seeking an interpretation [suitable to them]. And no one knows its [true] interpretation except Allāh. But those firm in knowledge say, “We believe in it. All [of it] is from our Lord.” And no one will be reminded except those of understanding.” (3:7)

Those who approach the Qur’ān to critique it find things which put people to trial and create discord. The believers however, read the same verses and say “We believe, all of it is from our Master”.

We approach it as believers, and thus if that meaning is unclear or unknown, it would be best to accept our limitations of understanding and move on to the next verse or otherwise ask a knowledgeable person for help.

Whilst Tafsīr is the duty of scholars who have a strong footing in the Arabic language, amidst other prerequisites, Tadabbur is the duty of the entire Ummah.

#Previous Nations.

Allāh speaks of a previous nation who too carried their book with pride but without reflecting and implementing its rulings.

“The example of those who were entrusted with the Torah and then did not take it on is like that of a donkey who carries volumes [of books]. Wretched is the example of the people who deny the signs of Allāh. And Allāh does not guide the wrongdoing people.” (62:5)

May Allāh protect us all from following this example, and instead enable us to develop a strong relationship with the Qur’ān — to read and reflect over it, and thus be impacted by it so that we increase in righteous deeds and remembrance and glorification of our Lord.

If you want to benefit from the Quran, you must concentrate and devote your heart solely when reciting and listening to it. You must pay attention, and try to comprehend the fact that what you are reading is the word of Allah. As you read, you must know that Allah is addressing you in and through this Quran. Indeed, it is the words of Allah to you through the tongue of His Messenger.

When you pay attention to the Quran, you discover that it can only be from Allah. It becomes clearer and clearer to you that it cannot be from a human being. But many people don’t perceive the Quran this way because Allah doesn’t open its doors to people who do not pay attention.

The intent to reform is to be followed by commitment to that goal. If all that is sound then such a person is helped and sustained by Allah. If one is not fully committed to self-reform, even the best guidance cannot avail him. There is no better guide book than the Quran. However, it benefits only those who resolve to act upon its guidance.

At the level of ideas there is no system of thought and belief — secular or religious, social or political — which could surpass or equal Islam.

In a fast-changing world, while other systems have undergone profound transformations, Islam alone has remained above all change and mutation, and retained its original form for the past 1400 years.

You can connect to the Quran without forsaking or abandoning your activities. Your mission is to internalise the message, exhibit it in your character and pass it on to others.
____________________________________

~maryambintisa