75

Harriet POV

You'll never guess what I'm doing.

Avoiding Clayton Hendrix.

What a shocker.

After our dance at the prom, I legged it. I ran back to the dorm, went to bed and the next morning I was gone to visit Lilian.

That was a week ago. Haven't seen him since.

I'd be lying if I said I didn't feel guilty. Claytons trying to get me back. He said so himself. Yet I keep pushing him away.

However, it's for the best.

If a kiss caused Lilian to get in a serious accident, I don't want to think about what would happen if I let him get close.

It's Saturday, and exams officially start on Monday.

To say I'm nervous is the understatement of the century.

It didn't help that on top of studying, I had to avoid the guy I love and worry about my mother who could potentially never wake up.

Isn't my life exciting?

I'm sitting in the library, like most days, studying for the geography exam I had on Monday.

The only motivation I have to study is telling Lilian when she wakes up that I passed. Or that I got into a good college.

I'm fairly confident I know most of the stuff I need to know. It's just geography and maths I need to look over more.

Quinn says she'll buy me a bottle of water if I get a good grade on geography.

How can I possibly pass up on that once-in-a-lifetime opportunity?

Suddenly someone sits down in front of me, and I look up and see Clayton.

Fuck.

"How did you figure out where I was?" I mumble, and he snorts. "I've known you've been here ever since day one Harriet" Clayton tells me amused, and I want to dig a hole and bury myself in it.

"I need to study" I mumble as I look down at my notes.

"I know. I want to make a deal" Clayton says, and I look at him confused. "What kind of deal?" I ask cautiously, and he smiles.

"Study in the dorm. I won't bother you, I promise. I don't see how you can possibly concentrate with people everywhere and live porn being shot in the back" Clayton tells me, and I look at him hesitantly.

"Why do you care?" I ask, and he scowls.

"Harriet, did you forget we dated for six  months? Did you forget I love you? Believe it or not, I still care about you, whether we're broken up or not" He scoffs, making me freeze.

I assumed he hated me.

I broke his heart. I ended our relationship and didn't give him a reason why.

He's supposed to hate me.

"You're supposed to hate me," I tell him, and he chuckles.

"Didn't know there was a rule book on how to feel about your ex " Clayton jokes, and I look down sadly.

I'm his ex.

I hate being his ex.

"Don't worry. You won't be my ex for long" Clayton smiles, as if reading my mind, and I roll my eyes while ignoring the fact I'm hoping he's right.

"Do we have ourselves a deal?" Clayton asks, and I sigh before nodding.

"Should we kiss to seal the deal?" He teases and I roll my eyes.