39

Harriet's POV

It was seventh period and I was sitting in maths class. Although I wasn't paying attention. I haven't been paying attention all day so far.

I stayed in the library during lunch, not wanting to face Clayton or the twins right now.

I just couldn't believe what Clayton told me. He's a part of a fucking mafia. He's a murderer.

Im dating a criminal.

And do you want to know the worst thing about this whole situation?

I don't care.

I don't care that he's murdered people. But I should care. I should be horrified and disgusted. But I'm not.

Growing up, I'd see movies about how the main character's best friend or close family member turned out to be a murderer. And the main character would be scared and disgusted.

So why don't I feel like that?

I know Clayton would never hurt me. Even if I did go tell every what I found out, I doubt he'd be able to kill me.

Im aware someone else definitely would, but he wouldn't.

I know the right thing to do would be to call the police. But what good would that do? I've seen movies. I know that the mafia's usually have cops working for them.  So if I went to the police, I'd just be getting myself and potentially an innocent cop killed.

The bell suddenly rings, tearing me from my thoughts and I sigh.

I have questions and I need answers.

While everyone else packs up, I take out my phone.

                              Clayton

Maths room B

We need to talk

Not even three minutes later, the classroom door opens. Clayton walks in and closes the door behind him.

"You wanted to talk," He says quietly. "Is it okay if I sit beside you?" Clayton asks and I nod.

He walks up to my desk and takes a seat beside me. "Can I please just talk?" Clayton asks and I nod my head again. He sighs before running a hand through his hair.

"Look I know when you hear the word mafia you get freaked out. Everyone does. But I promise, we don't go around shooting innocent people for the fun of it. Our mafia mainly sells drugs and ammunition" Clayton explains and I nod, before freezing.

"Our?" I ask and he sighs. "Harriet, my family runs a mafia" Clayton says quietly and I freeze.

Holy shit.

"So your family are...all a part of.." I mumble and he nods. I take a deep breath before looking at him. Im about to say something but he beats me to it.

"I know you have questions. I'll answer all the ones I'm able to. And I promise to answer honestly as well" Clayton says and I nod.