Chapter 7

So sorry I didn't include a trigger warning when first posting this chapter, only just remembered.
TW- Self harm

~~~~~~~

‘Maddie-‘ Cordell started as he walked into the dining room, Maddie sitting at the table eating breakfast. ‘Good news. I just got off the phone with the electricity company, your dad did pay the bill, something happened with the bank transfer or something but-‘ He helped himself to a piece of toast off the plate in the middle of the table. ‘the power should be turned back on within a couple hours.’

Maddie breathed a huge sigh of relief. ‘Thank you for ringing them for me, I really hate having to deal with stuff like that. It’s really not one of my strong suits. Now I’ll only need to worry about replacing the ruined food.’

‘Ah, about that-‘ He looked at Abeline as she came in to join them. ‘Mom, would you have time to run with Maddie to the grocery store today?’

‘There’s just one slight problem.’ The teen interjected before she could reply. ‘I haven’t got anything to pay for a shop with, having the rent and gas to pay last week took up the money Dad left me, and my pay for working here.’

‘That’s not a problem.’ Abeline sat, spreading some jam on her toast. ‘We can cover it, an advance on this weeks pay.’

‘I don’t like to be owing anyone-‘

‘It’s an advance. Besides-‘ She winked at her. ‘I know where you live. You aren’t going to skip town without finishing this week's chores out, are you?’

Maddie chuckled. ‘No ma’am.’

‘Then we’ll hear no more on the matter.’

‘There is one other thing.’ Cordell added. ‘How would you feel about coming camping with Stella, August and I? We were planning to go camping in Emily’s honor this weekend, Stella wanted to invite you along, seeing that you lost your mom around the same time and your Dad isn’t here with you.’

‘Um…’ She didn’t know what to say, genuinely surprised by the invitation. ‘I thought it was just a family thing.’

‘Considering the amount of time you're spending here, you’re becoming part of the furniture Maddie girl.’ His phone buzzed and he pulled it from his pocket. ‘Ah, I have to go. Think about it, Stella and August both would like it if you came.’

‘Yes sir.’ She nodded, the Ranger heading for the front door. Silence fell, the teen gingerly picking at her scrambled eggs on toast.

‘You're not hungry this morning?’

‘Not especially. I’m sorry, I hate wasting food-‘ She went to stand up, picking up her plate. ‘Can I put it in a container? I’ll take it home to re-heat-‘

‘No, it’s alright.’ Abeline assured her. ‘The chickens will enjoy a treat.’

She placed the plate back onto the table.

‘Something on your mind?’ She questioned after a moment.

‘I’m just… worried... about my Dad.’

‘Do you want to talk about it?’

‘I’m worried he’s left me, for good this time.’ Maddie blurted out, biting at her cuticles. ‘Please, you mustn’t repeat anything I say.’

Abeline nodded, staying silent as she waited for the teen to open up.

‘I’ve said before that it’s not the first time Dad has left me, and it’s true. When I was growing up, he would be gone for long periods at a time. Days, weeks. I remember Mama crying a lot when he was gone-‘ Abeline placed her elbows on the table, resting her chin on her hands. ‘One day, he never came back.’ Her bottom lip quivered, the memories flashing in her mind. ‘It was my sixth birthday, they had an argument, Dad was yelling, Mama was crying… Dad packed his bag, I begged him to stay but he left anyway.’