Chapter Nine

Reed 

The familiarity of the family was something that brought back many memories, ones that warmth my heart. I remember the years of me and Lily following my father around, imitating him, wanting to be like him. I remember one time Lily came into the room with my father's suit jacket. She was only young, let the blazer hung on her tiny limbs, it swallowed her whole. Her little face which was always cute, was frowning as she tried to show her seriousness to our father as she carried her briefcase and sat on the large chair next to my father. I remember the soft smile he gave her as she entered like a storm. He was an important meeting but all they could do was smile at the little girl who clearly idolised her father. 

This time, I sit in the office there is a coldness, a frost that covers my family. For I had been missing for years, they probably thought I was dead. My mother clung to me like I would disappear. I could see that the years had not been good to her, her eyes were once like Lily's. They twinkled with mischief and love. However when I look her now, her eyes were dull, there was something almost deathly about her appearance that worried me. 

The only thing that was clearly a common factor in my family's presentation was our shared genes and the clear shock on their face. My appearance has clearly shaken them, I can see my father shake as he takes me in, whether it stems from anger is yet to be seen. 

"Son." My mother's voice croaks out as she tries to hold back her tears. I give her a forced smile, hoping to reassure her that I am here. "Son, where have you been all this time?" The tears escape her eyes before she even has a chance to stop them. 

I let out a sigh. "It is a very long and very sad story." I say with sympathetic smile. 

"Well you better start talking!" My father bellows, his brow furrows, his veiny, hand runs through his grey hair in frustration. He clenches his eyes tightly, he heaves in a deep breath. "Do you know how worried we were? We thought you were dead! We spent years looking for you, countless wolves searched this kingdom to find you! After your sis-" his voice halts, like he can't even digest her presence. It's like even mentioning her is a poison dripping from his mouth as he tries to speak about my twin. My wolf can't help but release a growl at the way he is even speaking about my sister, his daughter. I can tell from his tone, his words, that he still believes she is guilty of a crime she did not commit. 

"Do not disregard my sister like that." My voice deepens and eyes darken. I clench my fist, gulping a large gulf of air, calming myself, knowing that he will soon eat the poison that he wants to spout about my sister. 

"Do not even mention her! She brought shame to this family! To this pack! She committed the biggest sin this land has ever seen!" My father shouts as his face reddens. I can still see the vein in the top of his head pop as his anger boils. My mother rushes to his side as she continuously sobs. Her arm reaches for him as she caresses his arm in comfort. My father gulps a breath and looks away as the touch of his mate instantly calms him down. 

A silence echos through the room, the heaviness of this conversation is something that has been decades coming and he doesn't even realise that the sins he speak of is something that he committed, that this kingdom committed. For they tried to kill their rightful Queen. I push myself up and make my way to my father's walnut cabinet. He looks at me in surprise as I push open the side compartment where he keeps his good whiskey. 

I give him my signature smirk. "What you don't think I know where you keep the good stuff?" I chuckle as I pull out four crystal tumblers as I pop the lid off. I bring it to my nose and sniff knowing right away that this was the good stuff. A bottle that he had yet to open. I start pouring four separate glasses. "Come on dad, did you never realise your whiskey tasted weak even after opening a new bottle?"