Chapter Four

Leyla 

I peeled my eyes open, my limbs were aching, my body was hurting beyond belief. I couldn't understand why I was in so much pain. Why I felt so weak? My mind was still lingering on Nona. I couldn't work out if it was real, or a dream or even a figment of my imagination. It felt so surreal, but equally there was this heaviness on my chest that was inexplainable. Before I knew it I was gasping air between the coughs that were leaving my lungs. 

I could feel something or someone holding me in their arms. It was warm and comforting, with a sense of familiarity. I felt safe and cosy that I didn't want to leave. My ears were once ringing was now met with the soft whistle of the breeze and the rustle of leafs. I could slowly feel myself regain control of my body that felt like it was being weighed down by bricks. I twitched the tips of my fingers and wiggled my toes, trying regain some type of sensation. 

"Leyla, please wake up." A soft feminine voice rang through my ears. "Please, I beg you to open your eyes." The voice pleaded in desperation. 

Wake up sleepy head. Amira yawned in the back of my mind. 

Amira? I croaked out. 

Yes Leyla it's me and you are worrying too many people. So you need to pull yourself together and open your eyes. Amira teased. 

What the hell happened? Why do I hurt everywhere? I groaned in the back of my mind. 

Well, we escaped with by the tip of our fingers, we managed to make a dent in the Royal Army. We discovered a new power and you took a trip into the spirit realm of in between. Which by the way was extremely difficult considering you separated yourself from me. You had me worried you weren't going to come back. Amira's tone filled with sadness. 

So that wasn't a figment of my imagination? I replied eagerly. Wait, hang on a second, we separated? 

Yes and don't you ever do that again, do you hear me!? Amira scolded. What did you see? Amira hesitatingly asked. 

Nona. I whispered. 

How is she? Amira asked. I knew she had a connection with her, even if we were reunited with our birth family, Nona was a part of us that we would never want to forget. She was the first mother we ever knew. 

She's at peace, she looked beautiful, young and healthy. I sighed out in relief. She doesn't blame me for her death. She said it was something that had to happen. 

Of course she doesn't blame you. Amira scoffed. She would have done anything to save you, the way you saved her. You know that Nona was just surviving before us, we helped her live. Our destiny was forged with Nona's for a reason. All we can do is be thankful for the time we had with her and treasure those memories. However, I'm glad that she gave you some sense of closure. Amira explained. 

Thanks Amira. I respond. 

Now Leyla, there's no time to dwell on the past. It's time to look to our future. So I won't tell you again. You need to open your eyes before your mother loses it together. Amira orders.

It's with Amira's demanding but encouraging words that I pushed myself to peel my eyes open. The sting from bright light from the rising sun in the sky pained my eyes. It could feel the heaviness behind my eyes as a blurry face was peering above me. I tried to focus my gaze, squinting my eyes as the face in front of me became clearer as each second passed. 

"Leyla, oh thank god." The anxiety in her voice started to disappear and was soon filled with relief. I could clearly see the tears in her eyes that she was holding back. 

"Mom." I croaked out. My head is laid on her legs while her arms are wrapped around me. I could feel her shoulders instantly relax in relief as my voice reached her ears. It's then that the tears she was holding back, finally roll down her cheeks and drop onto my forehead. 

"You have no idea how long I waited to hear your voice. I was so worried. I thought you would never wake up." She croaked. "While you were laying here in my arms. I realised I never got to tell you how much I love you. I am so thankful that the goddess saved you. God, I love you so much." She sobbed. 

"You can't get rid of me that easily." I chuckled. "But I love you too mom. I know time has been stolen from us but I can't deny how much I care for you." She sobs louder and it is one of the only times that I have seen her break like this. This woman who emits nothing but power is now a vulnerable mess because of her fear that she would lose me. 

I take in my environment but we are surrounded by tall tree's and tall grass that is concealing us from the naked eye. "Where are we? Did everyone get out safely?" I question. 

She wipes her eyes with the tips of her fingers and shakes her head in jest. "You are my daughter, you have only just woken up from a coma like state and you are worrying about other people. We all got out safely. Two of them are currently running and getting to safety in the opposite direction. The rest are here and have been waiting for you to wake up so we can make our way to the Lumos pack." Mom explained. 

I sigh in relief. From what I can remember Amira had taken control, I knew that her plan was risky but we managed to all get out safely. I didn't even know what she had planned but it worked and with that she tapped in to another one of our powers. Fire. Even though the flames were more like sparks, I knew that it was the only the beginning. I had already seen what we could do with water and now that I had untapped the power of fire I knew that there were still secrets to uncover. All I know is that Selene was right, that as long as I trusted Amira we would be capable of so much more. 

Too right. We are the amazing duo. Amira pridefully stated. 

"How are you feeling?" Mom asked. 

"My body feels like it has been hit by a tonne of bricks. I'm exhausted but alive. So I'm good." I respond. She gives me a warm smile. 

"Do you remember what happened?" Mom questioned. 

"You mean seeing Nona? Yeah I remember. Mom what did she mean by Pandora is the key?" I questioned. 

"I have an idea but first we need to reunite with our pack. We have already been longer than needed. I know my brother will be in contact with home but our arrival is bound to cause some problems. The answers to our questions are there." She explained. 

"What do you mean? What does the Lumos pack have to do Pandora?" I furrow my brow. 

"The Lumos pack is where our history as wolves started. Did Nona ever tell you about the legend of Pandora?" Mom asks. 

"No. She never. I don't have a clue who Pandora is." I flinch as I shrug my shoulders, feeling the burn of my muscles. 

"The legend of Pandora isn't spoken about a lot but it was believed that Pandora was the first ever werewolf. The Lumos pack is believed to be the origins of her story. I'm hoping my father will have some answers. All I can do is pray that he will speak to me." She sighs in concern. 

"Why wouldn't he speak to you?" I asked in confusion. 

"My father, your grandfather disowned me when I was blamed for the murder of the Queen. I am hoping that with the help of my brother and Alexander he will hear me out." She explains. 

"If he doesn't?" I reply. 

"Then we are doomed and we won't stand a chance against Lamia's army. Nona's hint tells me that we are in more danger than I realised." She finished.