Chapter Eight

Reed

I didn't know what to think when I saw Ryan crash to the floor. His skin turned a ghastly pale colour, it looked like he was about to throw up his guts. Before I even had a chance to grab him, he fell to the floor. I saw Alexander's eyes widen as he watched him fall to the ground. A part of me didn't envy him at all. Even though Ryan was not his biological child, he had spent the last two decades believing that he was, only for him to be his biological daughter's mate. 

I was very empathetic to his situation. Although I didn't like him, I could understand him, he was tricked by a malicious woman who wanted more than what she deserved. He had raised a child that wasn't his because of some trickery and sorcery. I remember Lamia as a child and she was very bit a spoiled and jealous woman. To the naked eye, a lot of people viewed her as a woman of elegance and kindness but I knew the truth. She was an ugly person, she was abusive, I saw her demeaning those below her station, she bullied the weak, she mocked the poor. She was a woman who prided herself on her bloodline. However, my father always told me that bloodlines were nothing, that regardless of station we were all the same, we all shared the same abilities to shift. I could never understand how this woman was destined to be Queen. 

I can't help the internal chuckle that mocks me. I knew from the start she was not worthy to lead the people of our country, how could someone so vicious be appointed such an important task. She didn't value those who cared for our pack, for they were deemed as slaves rather than Omegas. As I watched her from the shadows with my sister, I watched her shuffle and reorganise the Royal pack, giving importance to bloodline rather than contributions. The segregation of poor and rich became bigger. I watched from the sidelines as she acted as a doting and loving Queen in front of Alexander, only to show her true face and facade to those she deemed unworthy. 

I watched Alexander as he picked up Ryan and placed him under a tree at the safety point. Drew rushed to his side, taking Ryan's temperature and pulse. Checking what was wrong with the boy who was my nieces mate. I knew he too was a victim of a cruel game that his mother played. I had seen him the past few days trying to change and make things right. He abandoned his post to seek out the Mallapers to ensure their safety and well-being. He protected us, he protected his mate. Away from his mother, I started to view him as someone who was potentially worthy of my niece, even if he had a long journey ahead of him. 

"He's alright. His pulse is a little slow but he's not in danger. I presume it has something to do with his wolf. We need to get to somewhere safe where I can make further observations." He sighed. "The sooner, the better." Reed said with a furrow of his brow. 

I gave him a tight nod. Alexander was sat by his side, his face filled with worry and concern as he stroked his head of hair pushing the lose strands back from his forehead. I looked at his pale skin and could see that the colour was slowly flowing back on his cheeks and even I let out a sigh of relief. 

Alexander let out a pained chuckle that was mixed with a cry. The subtle shake of his head as a few tears released from his eyes. He picked his hand up and wiped his eyes. I looked at him with a pained expression on my face, the sympathy to his situation was something I could not help but feel. 

"It's so difficult. I want to hate him, I want to scream at him for the pain he caused Leyla but at the same time, I can't help but relate to him. I want to protect him, I raised him like my own child and I can't wipe that bond away." Alexander shakes his head. 

I let out a sigh and make my way to his side and place a hand on his shoulder. "It's not your fault Alex. You were both victims of something much bigger than all of us. He may not be your blood, but he is your son as much as Leyla is your daughter. You don't have to be guilty for what your feeling. Leyla won't feel any hostility towards you, she has a big heart. From what I have seen of my niece is that she has a beautiful and kind heart, she won't mind sharing you." I said with a soft smile.