Chapter Five

Ryan's Point Of View

The tunnels were hot, suffocating and all I could taste was the reused air. My skin was crawling and itching form the sweat that was clinging to my skin. There was little room to manoeuvre, the tunnels here weren't as well built as the ones that I found in the Royal Pack. They were built with brick, determined to remain standing for years to come, whereas the ones here were reminded me of the description of miner tunnels. The dust was heavy and thick which only added to the heaviness of my breath. 

The heavy totting of footsteps echoed through the walls, the pack members were quiet, it was like they were trying to conserve the oxygen in their lungs. The only time words were spoken were those between child and parent. The children would often complain that they were hot or that they were tired. I couldn't blame them because even the adults were struggling in these conditions. However all we could do was carry on. 

I was walking with my father... I shake my head because he isn't even my birth father yet I had years of memories racing through my mind of him taking that position in my life. I felt like I was having an identity crisis. I had grown up believing the King was my father and I was his son, his heir. However, the reality was something else all together, I was neither a prince nor his child. I had inadvertently stolen the life that belonged to my mate. 

My heart felt guilty at what my mother and I had put Leyla through. My mother, Lamia had stolen her childhood, she had deprived Leyla of a mother and father who would have loved her unconditionally. Whereas, I had spent my teenage years making her life harm after listening to my mother sprout nonsense about how she was not worthy to be a friend, she was adamant that I needed to surround myself with blood of nobility for I was a prince. How the tables have turned?

As I trailed behind my father, leading the rest of the Mallaper's to safety I couldn't help but think about how my mother had wrapped me round her little finger. She played me, she separated me from a man who was teaching me right from wrong. Yet what did I do? I fell into her trap, believed the lies that she sprouted. When the truth was she was the one who betrayed and cheated on her mate, all in the name of power. 

The tension between me and my fa-, Alexander was thick. I could tell that we had a lot to talk about. Both of us needed to come to terms with our relationship but equally with how my relationship with him had fallen apart. A part of me could see the disappointment in his eyes, I just couldn't work out whether that was because I rejected my true mate, his real daughter or because he now knew I wasn't his real child. 

I don't know how long we had been walking in these tunnels for the sense of time had been lost to me, there was no light, there was nothing that could help me differentiate our location. It was just dirt after dirt. All I could do was count the coughs that I spluttered out as the crunch of my feet gripped the ground below. 

"Hold up. Tell everyone to wait here." Alexander commanded his back was facing me but he held his hand up.    

I looked over my shoulder and make the same gesture that Alexander did, asking the warrior behind me to do the same. It was like a game of Chinese whispers as all of a sudden like the train we were halted to a stop. I watched on as my father carried on ahead, trying to work out what he was doing. 

Seconds, then minutes past as I repeatedly took deep breaths, trying to gather all the oxygen I could. I think I realised at this moment that I was claustrophobic. The longer I spent here, the worst I felt. My skin continued to shiver as it felt like bugs were crawling across my skin. I placed my hand on the wall, using it for support as I closed my eyes, trying to find peace and calm.

It was then that the image of Leyla fluttered through my mind, her warm golden eyes, her skin which was once as flawless as snow was now kissed by the sun. Her body had curves in all the right places and the training that she was involved in only added to her intoxicating look. She looked firm, her muscles were well defined. I could feel my member begin to rise the more I thought of her. I held in the groan that was slowly slipping out my lips. 

"Ryan!" Alexander's voice snapped. I opened my eyes and there he stood. There were droplets of sweat on his forehead as he looked at me. "I've been calling you but you weren't answering. Are you alright?" He asked as he furrowed his brow. 

I shook my head. "Sorry, was in a world of my own. I'm just feeling a bit... hot." I muttered as I wiped my forehead. I felt like I was sweating buckets. 

"We're here, I just checked and it's all clear no one is in sight and we are about twenty minutes away from the Lumos pack. It's time to get everyone out but we will all need to stay close together. It's a small clearing." Alexander explained. 

I sighed in relief. Forgetting that I was trying to converse the little oxygen that was lingering in the dusty tunnel. "Thank god." I whispered. I looked over my shoulder to the warrior and passed the message on. As the message was passed on, there were chants of joy, heaves of relief echoing through. It was like hearing a droplet hit the surface of water. I followed after Alexander and it was then that the light began to trickle in, the soft and minimal breeze flowed through and gently caressed my skin. The cold air was like a balm to my flaming skin. I was so relieved to make it to the other side. Being near the mountains had it's advantages,  the main one was the cool climate. 

As I stepped out of the tunnel, I deeply inhaled and closed my eyes. Relishing in the cool air that surrounded my body. As much as I wanted to bask in the fresh air, there was no time for that as the warriors were now exciting and setting up a perimeter in clearing which was surrounded by trees. It was there that I began to help the remaining member's exit the tunnel, lifting children from parent's wearily arms, taking bags of equipment and resources from those who were carrying heavy loads. 

I'm proud of you, you've come a long way from the spoiled brat that you were. Reginald teases in the back of my mind. 

Ha ha. Very funny I sarcastically respond as I rolled my eyes back. Things have changed. Since leaving the pack, everything is a lot clearer than it once was. 

Calm down, I'm only teasing. I can see you are trying. You are becoming a better person day by day. Your intentions are not selfish. He responds. 

Maybe, maybe not. I just wish I discovered the truth sooner. That book of mother's was scary. The things she has done. It sends shivers down my spine. I don't even know if we can begin to repent for her sins. I shake my head in disappointment. 

I told you before and I will tell you again. Not everything is your fault. You were a child who chose to believe in his mother. Anyone if your shoes would have acted the same. The important thing is that you are trying to right your wrongs. And also, you need to remember that you are not responsible for the sins of Lamia. She made her decisions and you made yours. You only keep doing what you are doing. Reginald reassures. 

Do you think she could forgive us? Do we have a chance with Leyla? I timidly ask Reginald as my heart thumps away in my chest. 

I can't answer that. Time will tell. All you can do is try to make things right with her and hope for the best. Reginald solemnly responds.

I let out a heavy sigh and continue taking bags from the Mallaper's who are exciting the tunnels. It's then that I feel a tight pain in my chest, it's so painful that it causes me to clench on the wet t-shirt that was clinging to my skin. The palpitations in my chest hurt, my lungs are desperate to gasp for air but it gets stuck in my throat. 

I start to lose my footing, my body starts to sway with the breeze of the air, the ringing in my ears become overwhelming. My head starts to hurt, the pounding feels like someone has taken a baseball bat to my head. Before I know it, Alexander and Reed are rushing to my side. My fingers clench onto Reed's shoulder as he is closest to me. I can see their lips move, but their voices are drowned out from the high pitch ringing in my ears.

What's going on Reginald? I gasp in the back of my mind. 

Something's wrong. Somethings wrong with Leyla. Amira, I can't feel her. Reginald panics. 

What do you mean you can't feel Amira? I shout in response. 

I don't know. Reginald whispers.

With his words reappearing in my mind, the darkness consumes me and I welcome it with open arms.