Dev and Viraj both looked at her with raised brows.

"Why not, Sneha? You won't get a better proposal than this." Dev said arrogantly.

Shankar immediately added.

"She...she means to say that she is already engaged. I had a talk with Viraj sir, and I told him that Sneha is already promised to someone else." Her father clarified politely.

Viraj looked at Sneha wondering why she hadn't informed them about Shashank's change of mind. Meanwhile, Sneha interpreted the situation quickly and decided to use it to her advantage. It was good that she had not told her father till now.

So, she kept quiet and let everyone believe that her engagement with Shashank was still on.

Dev looked at his son in confusion.

"How far has the relationship gone? Is she formally engaged?" Dev asked while looking at Sneha's ring finger to confirm.

"The date and all have been confirmed. So..." Shankar explained but Dev interrupted.

"Then there is no issue. Cancel her engagement with that family and let's confirm Viraj and Sneha's engagement date. I believe next week would be the perfect date and then we can have the wedding ceremony in the first week of March." Dev announced his plan, taking both Shankar and Sneha off guard.

Sneha's mother placed the tray of orange juice on the table for everyone and then sat beside Sneha. Even she was confused over the Khatri family's sudden request/demand.

"Uhh...Mr Khatri...I really appreciate that you find my daughter worthy of being a part of your family...but, I have given my word to Sneha's fiance. How can I now..." Shankar began but Dev interrupted again.

"He is not Sneha's fiance if they are not formally engaged, Mr Bohra. And if you are concerned about them insulting you, then you don't need to worry about it. I will take care of everything." Dev affirmed.

Shankar understood what he meant by 'take care of'.

"No, no, Mr Khatri. They wouldn't insult us. It's just that...I do not want to go against my promise. Also, they are very good people and I am sure my daughter will be very happy there." Shankar said politely, yet again.

"We are also good people, Mr Bohra. And, I assure you that Sneha will be very happy with my son." Dev said with a fake chuckle. He understood that Shankar was trying to deny the proposal. And this made him even more persistent.

"Of course. I know she will be happy in your family. But, I...wanted Sneha to marry someone from Uttarakhand only. You know, it will help her to transit into the same culture more easily." Shankar gave another excuse.

Dev chuckled again. It felt like a game to him now.

"Are you serious, Mr Bohra? The times have changed, you know. If this was the case, then why did you even leave your hometown? This is such a bad excuse. Tell me a good reason for you trying to deny the proposal. This time a good one." Dev said, turning serious by the end.

Sneha felt the chill run down her body as she saw Dev's glance turning grey.

Shankar visibly gulped. He wanted his family to be alive by the end of this conversation.

"Uhh...Sneha...is not very good at household chores. I fear that your family might dislike her lack of knowledge in household work and...make her feel upset about it." Shankar said.

Sneha looked at her father in confusion. She knew he was lying. She knew all the household work. It was Priya who didn't, because she never let Priya do much work. But, she kept quiet.