Chapter 6

In the morning, Ananya made sure to reach the dining room before Viraj. She knew the consequences of not obeying her brother. Now, sitting in front of him, she initiated the conversation.

"I don't think Sneha has anything to do with the men who tried to hurt me yesterday or any of your rivals." She began. He looked at her as he had his tea.

"Leave that task to me." He said.

"Can't I at least thank her in the college?" She asked.

"Wait for a week for me to confirm. Then you can talk to her." He answered in his usual straight tone.

"Okay." She sighed.

"By the way, do you bully your classmates?" He asked.

Ananya looked at her brother in shock.

"Did Sneha tell you this?" She asked in fear.

"Yes. Do you?"

Ananya made a face and then sighed.

"Not all classmates. Only a few of them."

"Why?" He asked.

"Because...I don't know. I don't like them. They are mostly scholarship students who are just too proud of their achievements. Their parents are proud of them. On the orientation day, their parents talk so proudly about them. I hate it. I hate it that they..." Ananya stopped as she didn't know what to say.

"...live a normal life with their parents?" He completed for her.

She looked at her brother and nodded with a sigh.

"Don't release your anger on innocent kids, Ananya. It's not their fault that our parents are like this." He tried to explain to his sister.

"Okay, bhai." She answered despite what she felt inside.

"Especially when students like them have saved you." He added.

She looked at him in confusion.

"What do you mean, bhai? Sneha is also...?" She asked.

"Yes. She is a scholarship student as well." He completed.

"Oh!" Ananya murmured.

"And, why do you skip your classes?" He asked further.

Ananya looked at her brother sheepishly.

"Did she tell you this as well?" She asked hesitantly.

"Answer the question."

"Yes, bhai." She answered while looking at the table.

"Why? I thought you liked going to college." He asked.

"I bunk only Ancient Indian History and EVS classes, bhai. In Ancient Indian History, the professor speaks so slowly that we all almost sleep in the class. And, I bunk EVS because Tina and Shruti are not in this class. So, I feel bored as I have no friends there, and thus, I skip."

"Very convincing reason to skip classes, isn't it?" He spoke in a scolding manner.

"I won't do it from now on." She promised meekly.

"Good." He said and then added. "Gaurav will drive you to college today and I will pick you up in the evening. Okay?"

"Yes, bhai." She answered robotically.
.
.
.

"I can't believe she is completely ignoring you after what you did for her!" Jyoti said as they both glanced in the direction of Ananya, who was sitting alone in the rightmost corner seat. It was the EVS class and the last lecture of the day.